Which tyres?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Which tyres?

Postby Delboy69 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi again folks,just had,a look at the tires that are on my 06 1.8 and noticed that on the front are 205/50ZR 16 91W Nexens and on the back are 205/50ZR 16 87W Rovelos,all tyres have plenty of tread left but could this be part of the reason why when out and about and driving normally that even going over a slight bump it feels like the back ain't as planted as it should be?
Car is running on standard suspension set up and isn't a daily drive,when looking online for tyres/prices its saying the sizes are 205/50R 16 V 87,so what tyres would people recommend?TIA
Delboy69

Re: Which tyres?

Postby drumtochty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:31 pm

The different weight capacities of the tyres will make no difference.

The MX5 likes four matched tyres but the problem you have suggests to me that the car may need 4 Wheel Laser Aligned.

The tyres you have on the car are budget tyres and budget tyres tend to get a bad name, deserved or not.

8 years ago when my wheels were away for refurb, I bought 4 off 14" wheels for my MK2 that had budget tyres different makes back and front.

I used them for 6 months as they were great and only put the refurbed wheels back on as the budget tyres were getting to their wear limit

Tyres that are recomended on the forums are the,

Uniroyal Rainsport

Kumho HS51

Michelin Pilot

As always different peole say one is better than the other.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Which tyres?

Postby Delboy69 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks drum,yeah looking to get the alignment done before anything else,if that doesn't change it then will have a look at tyres n take it from there
Delboy69

Return to Technical