CB fit in MX 5 ND

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

CB fit in MX 5 ND

Postby derekguitar » Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Anyone fitted a mobile CB into a ND soft top

I have a MX5 ND 1.5 Sat Nav with soft top. I go out on runs with the local MX5 group and use CB to link to other cars. I do not want to fit a fixed CB arrangement and therefore use a Midland Handheld Alan 42 multi mounted between the two seats and held in place with velcro.This arrangement is easy to fit for a run and remove afterwards. I do get car to car communication but miss out when cars get further away. Would like to fit a mag mount longer aerial but limited on siting to the narrow metal strip between the hood and boot lid which is aluminium. Then faced with how I would run the aerial cable into the boot through to the passenger compartment without causing any rubbing damage to the bodywork.

Would appreciate views from anyone who has gone through this and fitted a successful arrangement to get reasonable communication
derekguitar
OC Member
Derek & Eleanor Matheson

Re: CB fit in MX 5 NDb

Postby IanH » Thu May 03, 2018 8:30 pm

derekguitar wrote:Anyone fitted a mobile CB into a ND soft top

I have a MX5 ND 1.5 Sat Nav with soft top. I go out on runs with the local MX5 group and use CB to link to other cars. I do not want to fit a fixed CB arrangement and therefore use a Midland Handheld Alan 42 multi mounted between the two seats and held in place with velcro.This arrangement is easy to fit for a run and remove afterwards. I do get car to car communication but miss out when cars get further away. Would like to fit a mag mount longer aerial but limited on siting to the narrow metal strip between the hood and boot lid which is aluminium. Then faced with how I would run the aerial cable into the boot through to the passenger compartment without causing any rubbing damage to the bodywork.

Would appreciate views from anyone who has gone through this and fitted a successful arrangement to get reasonable communication

Not done it myself, thinking about it not straightforward. Assuming the top is always down.. could you run a strap around the hood or something? The panel above the driver in the hood should be hard on that model giving you some rigidity and when it’s folded down it’s just behind the seats.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Return to Technical