Fiat 124 Underbody Protection

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Fiat 124 Underbody Protection

Postby drumtochty » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:56 pm

As requested by a poster on the MX5 owners Club Forum, I today went in to a Fiat Dealer to have a look underneath the new car.

In my opinion and I have undersealed 2 MX5 Mk4 cars, the new Fiat is undersealed to a similar level to the Mk4.

The dealer advised that the they have not sold many of the normal range 124's but due to the way that PCP works they have sold a higher number of the 124 Abrath as it is not that much more a month compared to the more standard cars!!!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Fiat 124 Underbody Protection

Postby OldSpice » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Oh Eddie, a bit harsh surely?
They come out the same factory, but maybe Fiat will adhere a few more strips of masking tape than Mazda to preserve their heroic & historic efforts at anti-corrosion :lol:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Baxterboy1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:43 am

Hi, I am getting a mk4 today 2016 1.5 sport nav. My current 2.5 has the usual rust issues, I dread to think what the underneath is like. I have read a little about the underseal protection. Is this something I should be thinking of doing now, how long does it last, rough cost? Sorry for all the questions but my current 5 has not had the attention it deserves though I really want to take care of new one and learn about general maintenance. Am a real novice. All advice greatly appreciated☺
Baxterboy1

Postby OldSpice » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 am

Baxterboy1 wrote:Hi, I am getting a mk4 today 2016 1.5 sport nav. My current 2.5 has the usual rust issues, I dread to think what the underneath is like. I have read a little about the underseal protection. Is this something I should be thinking of doing now, how long does it last, rough cost? Sorry for all the questions but my current 5 has not had the attention it deserves though I really want to take care of new one and learn about general maintenance. Am a real novice. All advice greatly appreciated☺

1) As soon as if it's a keeper unless you want a another rot box smartish... say 2/3 years.
They are thin non galvanised mild steel after all..with an after thought of so called protective paint..here and there.

2) If your Mk2.5 is as bad your comments above, get rid as soon as possible.
It may have been a factor in your low trade in offer.
As far as dealers are concerned, it's just an pesky rusty old liability.
Off to market with it.

3) How long does it last? Depends a lot on how the car is used, and stored overnight.
How far do you want to go £££? Anywhere from £400/£500.00 upwards
Do a proper job? Years..depending on how it's maintained & checked. Annually.
Do a quick home-boy spray job? Maybe a year or so.
Depends on a load of variances..starting with TLC from an owner.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Return to General Chat