Valuation?

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Valuation?

Postby AthelstanefordAndy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi folks. Can anyone help me with this?

I have a 2003 Mk 2.5 1.6 It is not a special edition so I'm not even sure what it is called - it has 50,000 miles and was completely restored by Scott Gibson three years ago. It is garaged and only gets out on warm (? In this country), dry days. I think I did just under 2000 miles in it during the summer.

The alloys are all re-furbished and it really is a smashing looking wee car.

The trouble is, It has to go as I hardly ever use it and I haven't a clue how much I should be asking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks,

Andrew.
AthelstanefordAndy

Re: Valuation?

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:54 pm

You can now get an early Mk3 in the region of £3000 maybe a bit more towards £4,000.

A mint Mk1 may make more than that but not every day.

If we assume there is no issues with the Mk2 front chassis rails and also the sills and rear arches and the hood is good.

Also the 1.6 on the Mk2 is slower than the 1.8VVT engined cars, then at best it is £2,000 but there are loads of cars about but many of the cars are rusty underneath.

Due to the availabilty of low price the MK3 cars, this compressess the Mk2.5 price and if your description is correct and I can niether say if it is right or wrong then the car is going to be a bargain for some one.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby AthelstanefordAndy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks Eddie. That's useful info.

I meant to say that I also have a hardtop (hardly used). Would that make much difference do you think?

Andrew.
AthelstanefordAndy

Postby drumtochty » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:59 pm

The best bet is to sell the hardtop for £300 in a different transaction.

Or use it as a sweetner to get a sale.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Eddie is bang on as usual Andrew.
In addition, I'd wager a buyer will want to know if the cambelt/waterpump job has been done..ever.
Yes, the book says 60k, but there comes a time where age also kicks in...in some people's opinion.
They are non-interference engines, so do not mince themselves in the event of a failure...but people know about it.
As said, front chassis rails are the thing these days, so I'd make sure they are sound...and any surface bubbling :roll: in a 5 heralds a rot Mt. Etna ready to erupt from within.
Some photos would be good..especially of the chassis.
To give you and idea, our 2002 Sport has been an unfortunate benchmark of 5 forums remettaling threads in a structural way, fully injected, full repaint, and is totally solid & mint now with photo rebuild evidence but without the matching HT I'd not expect to get more than 2.2/6k for it.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Blush!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat