Roof advice

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Roof advice

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 am

I believe my Eunos currently has a mk2 mohair roof with glass window fitted to a mk1 frame.

2 things make me believe this:

The rear most bar across the way needs to be manually moved when raising/lowering the roof (I've read there are straps on a mk2 that do this automatically)

There are brackets either side on the second back bar that protrude up slightly and cause "lumps" in the mohair when the roof is up. I'm told mk1 roofs have seams running front to back that hide this.

I am thinking about swapping to a tan roof, the vinyl tan colours available look to be a better match for the interior, also I'd like to fit a bachelor bar and think going for a vinyl rear window would allow me to fit a rollbar with more angled support bracing.

Can anyone suggest a decent place to ourchase/get it fitted?

Anyone used Willie Ramsay in Loanhead?

Do you think anyone would be interested in my old roof (mohair, 1.5 years old, garaged over winter and hasn't seen much rain at all!)?

Cheers,
Steven
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Roof advice

Postby BBAV » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Steven,

What colour is the roof.

Bill.
BBAV

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Black bud, but I'm just gathering info at present!
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 pm

71NotOut wrote:I believe my Eunos currently has a mk2 mohair roof with glass window fitted to a mk1 frame.

The rear most bar across the way needs to be manually moved when raising/lowering the roof (I've read there are straps on a mk2 that do this automatically)

There are brackets either side on the second back bar that protrude up slightly and cause "lumps" in the mohair when the roof is up. I'm told mk1 roofs have seams running front to back that hide this.

I am thinking about swapping to a tan roof, the vinyl tan colours available look to be a better match for the interior, also I'd like to fit a bachelor bar and think going for a vinyl rear window would allow me to fit a rollbar with more angled support bracing.

Do you think anyone would be interested in my old roof (mohair, 1.5 years old, garaged over winter and hasn't seen much rain at all!)?

Cheers,
Steven

I used Willie Ramsay to repair some seats from my old Porsche 924. he made a splendid job at a sensible price. No idea what he's like with roofs, but judging from the stuff in the workshop I should imagine he'd tackle it OK.
John H

Postby John H » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:48 pm

71NotOut wrote:I believe my Eunos currently has a mk2 mohair roof with glass window fitted to a mk1 frame.

Cheers,
Steven

I used Willie Ramsay to repair some seats from my old Porsche 924. he made a splendid job at a sensible price. No idea what he's like with roofs, but judging from the stuff in the workshop I should imagine he'd tackle it OK.
John H

Postby drumtochty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:46 pm

So that's two votes for Willie Ramsay!!!!!!!!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical