Mk1 not accelerating

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Re: Mk1 not accelerating

Postby Mac1508 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:40 pm

UPDATE :)

sigh well after alot of fucking around, swapping injectors doin pressure tests etc....the fuel pump is only receiving 7.8 volts and the cables are in a bad way...so some electric magic in order, then hopefully this is all done with

thanks everyone for all your input, pics to follow
Mac1508

Postby OldSpice » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:02 pm

I take it you are somewhat frustrated? :shock:
While you are at it (all)..may as well whip the coilpacks out and light-emery the 'oles what the leads are inserted into.
Check the plug electrodes are bright & opened up sufficiently to give a really tight fit...and that goes for the spark plug ends too.
Just something else eliminated is all...probably will make no difference but at least it's dealt with.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby OldSpice » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:36 am

And there's something else that's starting with Mk1's these days.
The injector loom wiring is beginning to fail in terms of the plastic sheathing especially at pot no 1 nearest radiator. Consequently, the wiring starts to crud up, causing stealth misfires and sluggish performance.
I should know...hence...these days I'm beginning to accumulate electrical loom stuff, cleaning them, and food-bagging them for future use. I've two injector looms stashed.
Parts are cheap and plentiful now...but just wait a few years more & supply/demand will kick in.
So far I've accumulated most under-hood leccy stuff visible..while it's all dirt cheap.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Mac1508 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:19 pm

interesting...thanks I will bare that in mind.

starting to lose my mind with this one haha so I may well end up needing that loom.
Mac1508

Postby Mac1508 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Ok ladies and Gentlemn,

this is probably the last update as We have near enough fixed it.

So we altered the ignition timing by changing the camshaft sensor position....car runs great.

So i have lead myself on this rather convoluted chase of gremlins in system to find it was as always something simple.

Every mistake is a learning curve :)

Thanks for all the input much appreciated guys.
Mac1508

Postby mgrays » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Well done getting there.

The fuel pump relays are known to die .. and maybe the big bolt in fuse under the bonnet. I had only heard of the relay dying on turbo/super cars where they were consuming a lot more fuel so not normally an issue. Anyway ..another link in the chain to consider.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby Mac1508 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:18 pm

Thankfully i got the car to do this kind of work, just wish i had the cash to replace parts haha.

but yeah will look towards that as well cheers for help.

Mac
Mac1508

Previous

Return to Technical