Factory delivered spec sheet

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Factory delivered spec sheet

Postby tsoob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:24 am

Hi there,

Is there a resource in which I can punch in my VIN (1995, UK Delivered) and have my cars factory option list presented to me? I'm performing a slow "rolling" restoration, and I want to get my car back to as close to factory specifications as possible. I've already swapped out all of the easy to spot big ticket items and returned the exhaust, intake, wheels and suspension to factory, but now I'd like to know if it was delivered with leather seats, central locking, if a hardtop was optioned, etc.

Thanks
tsoob
OC Member
Matt Dennis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Factory delivered spec sheet

Postby drumtochty » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 pm

No there is no such online resource but if you contact Mazda UK with all your details they may well be able to advise.

If you put up your car details in a post on the MX5 uk owners club forum asking exactly what you want to know and be specific, there are a few " High Priests" on there that have detailed knowledge of the Mk1, two people in particular, Richard Nichol ( Richardn) and SAZ9961 come to mind.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Purplebug » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:52 am

Car is an iS model iirc. It came with leather seats and had the bootlid with a built in luggage rack. The boot lid got binned as it was dented and ugly. The seats again were binned due to being uncomfortable and badly cracked.
You other post mentioned rotten handling. The setting were as close to AK automotive track setting I could get with it still being fairly low (bar the corner that broke a bolt which I told you about and scrubbed a tyre inner edge).
The "dubious" coilovers are Direnza ones. They are not as good as meisters or GAZ but not as bad as TA's.
The car I think has central locking as you can feel the solenoids in passenger door if you lock it with this one but there feels like just a lock behind the driver side. The car is so small i'd never bothered getting it working and rarely locked it. If you were trying to get it back to OEM spec you should have said as I could have told you there was loads changed from standard but I thought you were going to track it?
There should also be a numberplate plinth on the front bumper, door cards should be all black and gearknob should be leather. There was also spats on the front wings.
Purplebug

Postby Purplebug » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:55 am

Also when I bought it there was no hardtop but it did have the bolts and side catch parts so it may have had it as an option. Don't think any came with a hardtop as standard but I could be wrong. Also the hood as mentioned to you is not original so you'll need to change that to the vinyl type as this is off a mk2.
Purplebug

Postby tsoob » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Nah, car's being used for touring. Went down to Frejus and back without a hitch! The dubious handling was because the coilovers were great on smooth roads, but the roads up around here are screwed. Hit a bump, the car would unsettle and decide to go wherever it wanted. Was even more annoying because I swapped out the coilovers for standard suspension which were absolutely knackered (despite the seller saying they were fine :? ) but that's all been sorted now with all new stuff under it. Should have just done it correctly the first time, but hey.

The car'll be used on the track of course (Nurburgring early 2017 I hope) but unfortunately it's got to be a daily everything car as well, so can't have it as low as I'd like simply because of the state of the roads up here. Big difference between a track car and a road car used a few times on a track, though.

Luggage rack hey... That won't be happening. I had both door cards off to replace the white vinyl with black (just personal preference) and couldn't see any central locking motors in there. Might have another look to see if there are still the holes to mount a pair.

Yeah, number plate plinth is obviously not stock but that's not changing, perfect the way it is.

Hood as in softtop? Either way it's got a Mk2 Hardtop on it these days anyway, so I guess it matches

Hey also, out of curiosity, what car was the plate on before your sister bought it?
tsoob
OC Member
Matt Dennis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:14 pm

next time you are heading to the continent, let me know, I have a pair of lhd headlamps that you can borrow if you want :)
gm

Postby drumtochty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:38 pm

If it was an 1,8IS it would have a microswitch on the drivers door no actuators and an actuator on the passenger door. The passenger door if unlocked with a key will not unlock the drivers door.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby tsoob » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:52 pm

drumtochty wrote:If it was an 1,8IS it would have a microswitch on the drivers door no actuators and an actuator on the passenger door. The passenger door if unlocked with a key will not unlock the drivers door.

Hmm, unlocking the drivers door doesn't do much except for unlock the drivers door. I'll have another squiz this arvo and see if there is the associated wiring.

gm wrote:next time you are heading to the continent, let me know, I have a pair of lhd headlamps that you can borrow if you want :)

I'll keep that in mind, although I also keep telling myself to buy the little sticker things and have forgotten every trip so far.
tsoob
OC Member
Matt Dennis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:34 pm

they were a random late night eBay purchase, if anyone else is needing a loan, I'm happy to oblige
gm

Postby drumtochty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:22 pm

This is a copy of a post from another member Brad Vickers that advises the differences between a 1995 1.8 I to a 1.8IS.

Re: My mk1 1.8iS uk getting there

Postby Brad.Vigers » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:46 pm
Dave,

I also have a 1.8iS and from a brochure I have of the 95 mx5 range, main additional bits the 1.8iS had over the basic 1.8i was

1) the style of alloy wheel (5 vs 7 spoke, both 14 inch, although early 1.8i cars actually came with steel wheels as standard.
2) abs
3) torsen limited slip diff
4) power steering
5) electric windows, mirrors and aerial
6) brushed stainless door sill kick plates and speaker surrounds
7) momo leather wheel with airbag
8 remote boot release

I think that's it - no other engine or gearbox differences.

Brad.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby tsoob » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:35 pm

So it does have an LSD in the back end, (I know, could have just looked at it but eh) explains why it's so tail happy outside of roundabouts compared to cars of old (Namely an FC RX7).

Also ruins my 6 speed plans, I'm not going to put a lower ratio diff in it if it means losing the LSD.
tsoob
OC Member
Matt Dennis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Purplebug » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:48 pm

I dont think it has an lsd and didn't think that was an extra on uk cars until mk2's?
I do think the iS cars had leather though.
This car has/had all the bits described though (bar lsd I think).
Purplebug

Postby Purplebug » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:52 pm

It's original plate was N908OYL
Yeah the soft top should be vinyl. This has a mohair mk2 top now which is warmer and less prone to rips etc
Purplebug

Postby tsoob » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 pm

There's nothing wrong with the softop, no point in changing that. I like Mazda parts is all, doesn't mean all Mk1 parts

I mean which car did the M14ATA plate come off, just curious really
tsoob
OC Member
Matt Dennis
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Purplebug » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:38 am

Ah sorry, it was on her black Mk3 MX5.
Purplebug

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:13 pm

It appears from a link posted on the OC forum that the 1.8 IS of this year does not have an LSD.

It appears also to have no central locking.

The leather at this year was indeed a factory option not standard but available to order from the factory.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat