Window problems

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Window problems

Postby smiles » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi guys just been out to go a wee drive and noticed the passenger window was down about an inch. It is stored in a garage and normally I shut all windows but I could be wrong. Anyway I then went to put it up (electric windows) and it wouldn't budge so I tried to put it down and it went down is this likely to be a regulator or switch. The driver one will go up and down with ease.
All advice welcome.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
smiles

Re: Window problems

Postby mgrays » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Start with your ears.. good diagnostic tool!

If you hear the motor moving in either direction .. then switch and electric motor are likely fine. It might be switch/wiring if only going one way but not that likely. If not then start at the motor voltage.
More likely the regulator if it goes down but not up.. but sometimes it needs greased and you can manually help the window back up.

So try switch and listen for the motor both ways (but not for too long.. do not want window to fall and never rise as you need to be able to pull the window up ... so need some/most of window still showing)
Then try to help the window up while using the switch; could be grease, could be regulator..if it gets easier to go up/down then it is grease, if it only goes down then it is regulator (or switch/wiring .. but check at the motor voltage).

(Posted from Miataland! - Harbour Freight and Northern Tools visit done :wink: )
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Re: Window problems

Postby drumtochty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:59 am

If it is the regulator replace with a good second hand one. Do not try to put new wires on.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical