Oil mystery...

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Oil mystery...

Postby bmv6197 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:36 pm

Wondered if anyone has any ideas on this one:

I just gave my Mk1 1.8 an oil service - 3.5 litres of old oil came out, plus a full oil filter - roughly speaking, that would mean the full 3.9 litres that the system holds. So I put 3.5 litres of fresh oil back in, until the dipstick was registering pretty much on the full mark (where it was before I started) and screwed on a new filter. Ran it for a few minutes, expecting the filter to fill and it to then need another 3-400 mls. But it still registered full. Took it for a drive of about 10 miles, and still showing full. Left it overnight, no change...

The dipstick on Mk1s is tough to read accurately, especially with fresh clear oil, so I'm wondering if it's showing further up than it actually is, but any other thoughts why I'm still registering full despite more oil coming out than going in? 3.5 litres should still be within the correct range, so I'd rather leave it halfway between max and min than risk overfilling it...

Any ideas appreciated!

Cheers,
B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Re: Oil mystery...

Postby drumtochty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:38 pm

The oil filter is only 0.2 litres, it is quite small.

I would add a small amount of oil and not worry.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:50 pm

drumtochty wrote:The oil filter is only 0.2 litres, it is quite small.

I would add a small amount of oil and not worry.

Yup... oh and you "should have" filled the oil filter with oil before fitting it :wink:
.. and you can hear the oil level by how long the tappets take to fill in the morning .. or by the engine starting to rev out a bit more freely when fully warmed up (well it is that or the gearbox bearings do the same thing due to lack of oil as I found on a non MX-5..)
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby bmv6197 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:21 am

Thanks guys - will keep an eye on things and remember the filter trick for next time.

Cheers,
B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Return to Technical