Suspension bushes

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Suspension bushes

Postby kpdornan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some thoughts on changing my suspension bushes.

My car is a daily driver so not looking to have anything that makes the ride rock hard.
I think that the car has the original bushes on so they are pretty shot so I'm sure that anything will be an improvement.

I have been told that putting polybushes on will make everything too firm for daily use.

What are everyone's recommendations?

Thanks

Kevin
kpdornan

Re: Suspension bushes

Postby drumtochty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Two of the guys on Mazda Menders replaced all their suspension bushes with new rubber bushes and said it was a very long job and difficult and made little difference to the car!

As allways your mileage may vary!

There is also the story that after a while the hard ones that are sold on the after market are noisey as the lube on them dries out.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:02 am

Even if they appear surface cracked they are likely to have plenty life left in them, unless you are getting wayward handling/clonks/ looseness.
it's all about degrees of perishing though..I do accept that. If there is excessive movement, then yes...and a potential MOT fail anyway.
Our 02 Sport ones look a bit travel weary, but are perfectly serviceable.
If they were not, my MOT guy would tell me ( he's a 5 nut) and have them out as he knows what I'm like about maintainance.
Only bushes we've had issues with were the usual drop links..cheap & easy to replace.
If you do replace (and it's a potential swine of a job) I'd go OEM as they are pretty hard core, tuned for the chassis after all, and long lasting.
Lots of Fairy liquid, hot sweet tea, and swearing.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby kpdornan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:41 am

thanks oldspice,

so if your bushes were worn out, what would you replace with?
kpdornan

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 am

OEM - stuff like Powerflex/Superpro isn't worth the extra cost IMO (at least not on an MX5 - I used to run them on my Fabia vRS).
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:07 am

Sorry..we tend to use jargon sometimes.
OEM = Original as factory.
Autolink might have them, or your local dealership.
Dealers are often panned for prices, but it's not always the case.
Don't buy "pattern" copies.
Fair chance they will be Cee Ar Ae Pee from some Hoo-flung-dung Province.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby ruggiebloke » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:38 pm

OldSpice wrote:Fair chance they will be Cee Ar Ae Pee from some Hoo-flung-dung Province.

If you mean China say China and don't be a racist dick.
ruggiebloke

Postby drumtochty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:45 pm

I have know Robin for a good few years now and what you may take to be offensive was in my opinion neither meant to be offensive nor has he any made any such offensive remarks in my company.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ruggiebloke » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:00 pm

Well Eddie, I have known Robin for many years and have no doubt that I have interpreted it as it was intended.
ruggiebloke

Postby OldSpice » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:22 pm

ruggiebloke wrote:
OldSpice wrote:Fair chance they will be Cee Ar Ae Pee from some Hoo-flung-dung Province.

If you mean China say China and don't be a racist dick.

Ok China, I will.
Surely you are aware that nation is responsible for flooding European markets with dangerous & unfit for purpose products?
Everything from the dreadful Rokkor suspensions ( now renamed :wink: ), spark plugs that blow themselves to bits, and knock offs of pretty much everthing you can think of...including baby milk that killed infants. They are perhaps the benchmark of corruption. The UK goverment detests & mistrusts them with good reason.
On a matter of principal I don't knowingly buy anything originating from that country.

Furthermore, you actually do not know me one single whit. You only know of me, as I, now vaguely, do of you.
I've not been in your airspace for years. Judging by your outburst, I am grateful.
Last time we met we shared fish 'n chips on a nice club run out many moons ago and happily chewed the fat about life.
Last time we "spoke" on ScottishFiver's ( now defunct) I tried to assist you with a battery issue with your silver Mk1, to which you gave not even the courtesy of a response. Charming. Perhaps the Buckie was going cheap in sunny Rutherglen today. :lol:
Apologies to the OP.
OldSpice

Postby joeytalent » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:02 pm

I also don't know you one whit, but that did come across on the uncomfortable side of acceptable wording.

Regardless, OEM bushes are probably the OPs best bet.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk
joeytalent

Postby OldSpice » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:06 pm

Are we all happy now?

OP, you have your answer. :wink:
OldSpice

Postby ruggiebloke » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:51 am

When someone retorts with a diatribe about why they are a racist, it fills me with sadness.
ruggiebloke

Postby OldSpice » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:27 am

Dave, either PM me with your spurious point scoring, or leave it out.
I am informed this morning via PMs on this forum...you have applied similar mindsets elsewhere.
Notably you avoided addressing any points I made. How could you?
I'm thoroughly enjoying a well earned & fullsome retirement Dave.
It enables me to body-swerve life-in-general's muppets...bar Tesco car parks.
Interpret that as you will.

It's all quite ironic Dave. I thought you were bright enough to separate opinion of a population (of whom I made no reference to nor do I possess one of them) as opposed to proven & criminally poor fake automotive products from a country amongst others who keep our Customs & Excise exercised 24/7.
The H4H 2026 miles run I did with my Mk1 4 years back?
The car & I raised 13k towards a 35K top quality prosthetic for a female Scots born Asian medic "2 Scot" in my son's squad when she got pegged 40 feet away from him with a single AK round. Sadly she has since passed from unrelated complications.
Some racist then which is an extremely serious accusation to publicise and based upon exactly what?

I'm hillwalking Tyndrum again next week with a small group that includes a semi retired Glaswegian Muslim solictor if you care to join us.
He would be delighted to explain a few things to you.
You may decide it's in your best interests to troll another forum eg Mx5 Nutz.
You do yourself little favour however I suggest you ask yourself a simple question. "How has this enhanced my quality of life?"

Please note Dave I have screen-grabbed this post for future reference if I choose to require it.
The other irony is, I'd still have dipped my wallet and bought you a burger & a coffee if by chance I ran into you..for old time's sake.
People change eh?
I expect a Mod will be along any time to apply his/her powers.

Sorry Kevin (OP)
It's not the guy I knew.
Hopefully Dave may desist and find something constructive to occupy his hours.
OldSpice

Postby kpdornan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi Robin,

thanks for the comments, I'll pop into Mazda and have a chat with them.
They have been really good with various odds and ends at sometimes better than internet prices.

They did point out that sometimes the online guys buy the Mazda parts from them first.

kind regards

Kevin
kpdornan

Postby OldSpice » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:34 pm

No worries Kevin.
You'll get there! :wink:
OldSpice

Postby CJT1.6red » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi Robin

completely off topic but ................ :offtopic2:

The Fivers are still going strong and not "defunct" as you mentioned earlier here is a link of our recent trip
on the North Coast 500 and we have been on the road many times this year, indeed this Sunday we are doing another of our annual epic events

we communicate if various ways and not just via the forum....perhaps that is where you are assuming your views

here is the link in case you wish to have a look and see we are doing very well

https://youtu.be/BbNkY1PNnqM
CJT1.6red

Postby OldSpice » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Ah ha!
Wondered what had happened. Of late, clicking in took me to an odd-ball trouble shooter site.
Cheers bud. Glad to hear it.
OldSpice

Postby liathach » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:46 pm

I, too, am redirected to odd sites when I try to open the Scottish Fivers page. I believe it may be because I am using Edge as a browser but I haven't tried with Chrome or some such browser.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby OldSpice » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Same as you with our Firefox on one PC, and wife's Asus pad, plus my Iphone6
OldSpice

Next

Return to General Chat