Lower wishbone replacement

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Lower wishbone replacement

Postby Jim Mark » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello everyone

My mx5 Arctic failed it's MOT today as the lower wishbones are rusted through. When dismantling I found that the lower shock absorber bolts would not come out as the captive nut was no longer captive! This was not a problem for me as I am replacing the wishbones and I could cut a hole in the wishbone to access the nut... not some thing you would like to do if the shocks were the only item needing replaced. Has anyone had this problem with the captive nut turning and if so what have you done to remove it?

The wishbones are a Mazda only part and the price tag was eye watering especially once you add the price of the bushes and bolts! Still not too bad for another years running.
Cheers James
Jim Mark

Re: Lower wishbone replacement

Postby drumtochty » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:04 pm

That is a typical problem with the nut. Either weld it in place if you can get the welder in or cut as you say.

You either buy new wishbones from MX5 parts if they have them or buy from a breaker with the bushes in place.

Even so a new car cost £3k a year in depreciation so that has to be taken into account.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Jim Mark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:09 am

Hello Drumtochty

I phoned MX5 Parts but they are out of stock until mid September. None of the breakers I tried had any left.
I find that if you coat every nut and bolt with copper grease as you install it you will always be able to dismantle at a later date, can't understand why repairers are slow to use anti seize products. Is it so they get another bite of the cherry next time! Any way the parts should be delivered today so I can get the car back on the road for some late summer fun.
It's true what you say about deprecation on a newer vehicle, however you pay the penalty in repair bills/work if you run an older car. That's the joys of motoring.

When I bought the car, SHMBO was not happy until I pointed out that her BMW had lost more in the first year than the MX5 has cost! We always take the MX5 when ever we get the chance it's so much fun!
Jim Mark

Postby OldSpice » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 am

James,
Call AK Automotive nr Newcastle, or JunkYard Dog.
They will likely be able to help.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Jim Mark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:38 am

Thanks Oldspice

I,ve already ordered them from Mazda.
Jim Mark

Postby mgrays » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:06 pm

I am sure you can jam a flat blade screw driver between the housing and the side the square captive nut and stop it spinning. Certainly I have stopped it spinning with no resorting to welders so far. As said ..reassemble everything with black moly loaded grease or copper slip but be aware this will reduce the torque settings by 20% or so... I have stripped a bolt on the bellhousing by sticking to factory torques with black moly loaded grease.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical