rear end rumble

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

rear end rumble

Postby kpdornan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:58 am

Hi,

I have a 2003 SVT.

it has developed a bit of a rumble from rear end recently.

A few month the rear drop links were replaced and the anti roll bar seems to keep slipping to one side by a cm or so.

I have bought new bushes for the arb and brackets and will fit when the car is on the ramp next week.

Anything else to look for?

The car has the original Bilstein shocks which have no leaks etc and the springs are all in pretty good condition and seated correctly.

thanks

Kevin
kpdornan

Re: rear end rumble

Postby OldSpice » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:12 pm

2003 -on LSDs were/are weak so I hope its not that.
If they were rolling-road MOT tested wrongly, they can shed "tabs" within and become noisy.
My cash (only 5p mind :wink: ) is a wheel bearing, possibly a disc pad grabbing (probably inner).

You don't say under what conditions steering/braking ect invokes it bit that would provide us a clue...eg....sharp left/right turning.
These rear noises are notorious for deception.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Re: rear end rumble

Postby kpdornan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:09 am

Hi,

I have another LSD sitting to go in from a 50K car, might attempt it when the car is on the ramp next weekend.

I would say that the noise in my mind is a suspension related one.
That is to say worse when going over poor quality roads, not there when on a good surface.

Like you say always difficult to trace.

thanks

Kevin
kpdornan

Return to Technical