What now

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

What now

Postby ListonEunos » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:29 pm

Okay so I've had my Eunos now for 2 years in October, I've just read frankhoney's thread and feel really fortunate to have a rust free car, it's a 1994 model and it's been (touch wood) a breeze to own, passed 2 MOT's with no advisories and apart from buying a new battery its cost me zip to run. My question is though what do I do with it now, keep it standard and just get the dings taken out of it and the alloys cleaned up, or upgrade it? Ideally I'd like to run it for another couple of years and sell it to buy a newer MK3. If it's such a clean car though would I be better to keep it? To be honest it's a bit of a safety thing as well and I've thought about a roll cage but I have been put off by people mentioning that you get a head injury of off one. Appreciate any suggestions, would have put up some pictures but don't know how to do it?
ListonEunos

Re: What now

Postby OldSpice » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:30 am

Prices are fattening up for unmessed examples that are claimed to be rot free.
Most people advise to buy on Condition, Condition, Condition.
In that respect, personally I'd set about it's nooks & crannies with weapons grade anti rot to keep it as far as possible the way it is.
At the same time, there is no harm in doing reversible "mods"...but keep the bits for sale day.
Your shout. Enjoy it while you can. A newer Mk3 is the better car on many levels as it ought to be...but it has zero Colin Chapman inspirations & viscerals built in..simply because it could not. I say this as an owner of a Mk2.5 as well as a Mk1....but I just motor around in it, but "drive" the Mk1.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby ListonEunos » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks for the wise words, there's a part of me that wants to fit a set of hub centric spacers as the wheels on my eunos (from some angles) looks like they could come out a bit. Apart from that I discovered last night that one of the tyres is not holding pressure, ideally I'm thinking about buying at least new fronts and tarting up the wheels, maybe sort out the dings next year. After that might invest in a wheel alignment and for sure this year I need to get an oil change and buy some serviceable parts, cheers.
ListonEunos

Postby Scott_J » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:05 pm

I would say my mk 3 is far more Colin Chapman than my Elise which is far more uncomfortable and a lot noisier. Colin was all about pushing the boundaries of progress and not living in the present. Why Lotus don't build a modern Elan is beyond me. Well probably because MX5 would be below it in market and Porky Coxster above it. Global economics .
Scott_J

Return to Technical