Paint flaking!!

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Paint flaking!!

Postby WSBen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi folks,we have a 08 Mk3 with the electric roof and have just recently noticed small blisters on the paintwork of the roof panels around the rear edges of the retracting roof panels... has anyone else had a similar issue? I have had a chat with a very good bodyshop (we have used him before) and he says it would not cost much to rectify as the two roof panels can quite easily be removed for treatment. I just wondered if anyone else has noticed similar issues......Oh! and can anyone explain why there seems to be very slight corrosion around the (driver's side) indicator on the wing panel? We noticed similar slight corrosion in exactly the same place on three other Mk3s recently. Absolutely no sign of this on the passenger side indicator.
WSBen
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Paint flaking!!

Postby OldSpice » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:19 pm

[quote="....Oh! and can anyone explain why there seems to be very slight corrosion around the (driver's side) indicator on the wing panel? We noticed similar slight corrosion in exactly the same place on three other Mk3s recently. Absolutely no sign of this on the passenger side indicator.[/quote]

As I recall Bill, back in the day, the side light holders were likely banged in by hand after all the painting was done, thereby fracturing the surface.
Or..so some bod said at the time. Seems reasonable given Honda's historic recalls with rotting roof rails for the same reasons.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Return to General Chat