Back on the road again....well, kind off!!

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Back on the road again....well, kind off!!

Postby WSBen » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:32 pm

The Mk3 had been off the road for a year, the sun was shining, the thought "Must get the car M.O.T'd"......cleaned the car, charged the battery up overnight, car fired up first turn of the key and off to the M.O.T garage for a check-over before the M.O.T. Driver side front strut needed replaced, new brake pads and a general clean-up underneath, two new tyres required as well......and passed the M.O.T Total cost, including the M.O.T .... £522.00. Car back home, another wash and polish and decided to take Mrs B for a wee roof down run along the small single track glen roads up here.........car no starty-up!! Battery flat and will not hold charge for very long....Get a couple, maybe 4 if lucky, starts and car runs well over an 85 mile run with a couple of stops and starts. Get home, leave the car in the drive overnight...and car no start-up next morning....battery flat again. Looks like a new battery will have to be picked up on next visit to Inverness :?
WSBen
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Back on the road again....well, kind off!!

Postby OldSpice » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:00 am

That's an issue with gel batteries if left too long though, or even allowed to go flat once.
Rarely recover fully.. if ever.
Sorry to read of your trials.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby WSBen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:15 am

The really stupid thing is......I just remembered I had a new battery which I keep topped up sitting in the shed, and it is the correct size and shape...... :oops:
WSBen
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby WSBen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Fitted the spare battery, fully charged last night....went out at lunchtime to take the car for a wee run. Guess what???? Flat battery again!! After a search on the web I found a rather interesting topic on the MX5 Owners Club forum: http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst ... -fuse.aspx

It would seem the MK3, 3.5 have a common issue with 'Dark Current' drain....I now have to try to find out where the fault is....like looking for a needle in a haystack!!
WSBen
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby WSBen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Well, after a bit of searching the wiring, I found that someone (at some date in the past) had smeared petroleum jelly (not vaseline) on some of the electrical connections, specifically the fusebox under the bonnet. Now, ok they may have thought this would prevent problems with damp etc., (previous owner lived in Aberdeen) :) But, the type of jelly used has an adverse effect on the insulation on the wires and causes them to to actually go very brittle and break down. One of the two main connectors for multi-circuits in the fuse-box looked a wee tad suntanned, as in (the word I am thinking off starts with an 'F', has a 'D' and 4 other letters in between.) So, a clean up, fresh insulation applied, new battery ordered from man who asks for the reg. number to make the ordering of the new battery more simple......express delivery promised by the man in the know........sun shining brightly, lovely and I do mean lovely late afternoon weather, just right for a wee maybe 100+ mile round trip to meet up with a chef friend at the Ben Loyal Hotel, battery delivered....and.....wrong (yet again the word starts with an 'F' but this time has an 'i', 'g' and a few other letters in between) size of battery. Is it just me that thinks now is the time to .....(and she who must be obeyed will probably kill me for saying this)...dump the MK3 and go for for something more exotic...I looked at a rather nice Jaguar and also a nice Merc...but the Merc dealership now seems to be in the hands of Arnold Shark....so won't be going there..maybe a BMW.....Hmmn, choices!!
WSBen
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby WSBen » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Proper new battery sourced, delivered and fitted. Car fired up, smile on face.....all ready for a wee run tomorrow.
WSBen
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat