Suspension Issue

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Suspension Issue

Postby Painter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:56 pm

car failed mot due to rear coils so left it up to them to order new set and fit came back looking like this, first impretions were oh my god what have they done, 40mm higher at back than front i told them before hand it had bilstiens ,ok they said but what i think they have done is ti fit standard springs ? have ordered the right springs from mx5 parts and they will change them when thy come in ps have a good laugh, what do u think?

Painter

Re: Suspension Issue

Postby joeytalent » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:03 pm

They just swapped the springs? Yup, looks like they've put standard ones on.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk
joeytalent

Postby Painter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:30 pm

i thought that when the garage type in vin no, reg no etc they would get right parts or would no from colour of shocks
Painter

Postby Macdond » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:41 pm

If the mk3 sport springs (the ones fitted to billies) you are welcome to them, currently have two sets taking up space in my garage.

My number is 07810437141 (located Livingston)
Macdond

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:07 pm

There is a reason for this and I do not think it is the wrong springs but I cannot remeber what the fix is at the moment.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Painter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:08 pm

thanks very much 4 offer but have springs ordered from mx5 parts , also would mk3 fit 2.5
Painter

Postby Painter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:12 pm

to embarrassed to take out and drive
Painter

Postby OldSpice » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:35 am

Painter,
Contrary to common opinion, not all our Sports got Bilstein to begin with.
I've a feeling what we are seeing is settling of the fronts, and no time given to settling of the new back springs.
The contrast of age & wear might be the thing.
The vital point is that spring/shocks are, from new, tuned to each other for compatabilty.
In that case, I hope you get the correct ones but bear in mind time & miles will have marginally softened the shocks out.

This is a recent snap of our Sport still on it's original (non Bilstein) springs & shock absorbers which after 14 years in itself is a bit remarkable.

Even allowing for "settling" over the years, you can see the difference although the car still rides tight & true..perhaps partly due to it's relatively low mileage.
It's not gone down in ride height since we bought it nearly 10 years back.
Now, our spring/shock set up from showroom is not Bilstein.Our shocks are black, and Billies are yellow.
The question is, did your car actually have the original yellow Bilsteins?
If black, they are often mistakenly taken for Bilsteins. Standard blacks are fine in my opinion...the only thing I'd like to do is fit uprated ARB's one day.
I've seen a variety of "standard" Sport ride stances over the years!

I'll be waiting with interest to see what a complete set of coils looks like. :wink:
Might be a good idea to consider a full alignment lasering afterwards.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Painter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:48 am

the only thing i can tel u is that it has the orignal yellow shocks dont know what make spring they are but on invoice cost £85 for pair seems a bit cheap as bilstiens cost that for one
also are the billies spring shorter than standard one
Painter

Postby OldSpice » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:52 pm

Ride height, I do not know.
Spring rate? I believe they were marginally stiffer...to match the harder Billies.
Or so I was told.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby IanH » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 pm

drumtochty wrote:There is a reason for this and I do not think it is the wrong springs but I cannot remeber what the fix is at the moment.

Are you thinking of the MK3 when the suspension on some cars was tightened up at the factory with the suspension uncompressed and easing it off reduced the ride height?
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:48 pm

IanH wrote:
drumtochty wrote:There is a reason for this and I do not think it is the wrong springs but I cannot remeber what the fix is at the moment.

Are you thinking of the MK3 when the suspension on some cars was tightened up at the factory with the suspension uncompressed and easing it off reduced the ride height?

There is that one but there was a similar thing with the earlier cars but I cannot remeber the fix
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:41 am

I'm fairly sure the Bilstein springs are 25mm shorter than stock, but that might've just been for the NA.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk
joeytalent

Postby OldSpice » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:15 am

That rings a bell now Joey.
Mk2 RS maybe.
OldSpice

Postby Painter » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:42 pm

before and after

Painter

Postby joeytalent » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:01 am

The top springs definitely look like there's less distance between the coils.

The garage also hasn't bolted your droplink back on in the lower picture:

joeytalent

Postby OldSpice » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:06 am

Unless it's snapped Joey..as they do? :shock:
OldSpice

Postby joeytalent » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:17 am

Aye, possibly. Just another thing to get the garage to fix!

If it has snapped, you'll probably want to do both sides as they wear pretty similarly.
joeytalent

Postby mgrays » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Could be the spring perch on the Bilstien shockers is higher than stock as the Bilstein springs are stronger and shorter. Fitting stock spring therefore raises the whole car as they are designed for lower spring perches. The Konis shockers had 3 spring positions/grooves for spring perch.. stock, Bilstein and lowered.. but this is all Mk1 stuff. I Googled a bit but found nothing conclusive.. the USA have MSM and HD Bilsteins for NB so it gets hard to compare.

First stop is get them to slacken the suspension bushes while the car is on the wheels and then retighten as they will have tighten them when jacked up.. that is worth an inch I would guess..

Second measure the centre of wheel to top of wheel arch .. should be 13.5" front 14" rear roughly off the top of my head.. go Google Miata NB stock ride height to find right numbers..
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical