Hey everyone

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Hey everyone

Postby Kylegmilne » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:26 am

How's things

My names Kyle

Was hoping for a bit of assistance if possible

Just bought an mk3 from Hartlepool from a garage and it comes with 3 months warrenty

But being new to mx5s and relatively new to driving I have a few concerns

But I would be extremely grateful for some insight before I know what to do next

I can hear a slight grinding noise coming from the rear? When taking off(driving back first day mate said don't want to put a downer on it but I think a wheel bearing might of gone I have no idea if that's true or even how to check)

There's also a strange noise Aswell which I can't describe I can show someone it but can't describe it but I feel it's coming from the back

From what I can see the cars been looked after pretty well with service history just done want the warrenty to run out

Is there anyone local who has a vast experience whether it be a garage or member who would be able to look over the car(I know it's a big ask for a first time post haha!

Also is there any meets/drives coming up literally fallen in love with this car and would defo wanna take part in the more community based events

If you wanna get in touch post here or email me @ kylemilne89@outlook.com

Or send me a text on 07468513609

Or even let me know a garage who has a bit of history working on mx5s in the tayside area

Iv heard a lot about gear diffs whatever that is

Thanks again

Kyle
Kylegmilne

Re: Hey everyone

Postby Gavin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:20 am

Have you had a look at the tried and trusted garages section on this forum to see what's in your area? That would be my first port of call.
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Kylegmilne » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:19 am

Sorry I haven't new to the forum il go see if I can find anything local

Thanks

Kyle
Kylegmilne

Postby OldSpice » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:36 am

When safe to do so, next time the grind is audible, apply the handbrake firmly.... but NOT to lock-up...at around 20/30mph.
If the noise changes or goes it may simply be inner/outer disc surface rust if it's been static for a while.
Pads might need attention /or commonly a sticking caliper.
Doubt it's a wallet breaker form your description though. So far. :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Kylegmilne » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:18 pm

See there's a meet coming up shortly on the 8th am I right?

Defo something I wanna do anyway is it rude of me to ask someone there to see if they know what's up ?

Don't wanna be "that guy" if it's not cool

And il check that out and give it a try Iv never been in a mk3 before so it might be normal who knows

Kyle
Kylegmilne

Postby drumtochty » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Usually the dust cover behind the disc after some time can rust and distort and sometimes rub against the disc but not always.

Usually just bend it back a bit away from the disk can stop the rubbing.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical