Buying first MX5

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Buying first MX5

Postby davidrirvine » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:56 pm

Just joined the forum recently and looking for some advice. I am considering buying an MX5 and a bit unsure about the best way forward. I have a budget of £2.5-3k and not sure what to do. I see some 03 models around for this but also notice others around 1999 which are asking near enough 3k My initial thoughts were that this was a bit high for the age but now coming round to the idea that it would be better to go for an older but better maintained model.
I am not looking for a project - just want a car I can take out in the summer months and enjoy, then garage for the winter. It will be a second car.
Thanks in advance.
davidrirvine
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Buying first MX5

Postby drumtochty » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Where are you based and how skilled are you on mechanical things and looking under cars for corossion?

There are certain expensive to cure rust traps on Mk2 and M2.5 cars that is 1998 to early 2005.

Not always easy to see the areas and can be missed on an MOT test.

There are a some clean Mk2 and Mk2.5 cars with no rust.

Early Mk3 cars can also have corossion problems but probably more clean Mk3 cars on a statistical basis then rusty ones.

There are a lot of Mk3 cars available on the market as lots of them were purchased on PCP deals therefore they can always be purchased somewhat cheaper than the asking price.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:59 pm

£2.5-£3k should get you either a Mk1 or a Mk2/2.5.

The Mk1 has the popup headlights.

The mk2 had a facelift which became the Mk2.5 with slightly different headlights, different seat shape, etc.

With any MX5, always, always buy on condition, and it's primarily bodywork condition.
The oily bits are much cheaper to fix than the bodywork.

Look around the rear wheelarches, look at the condition of the sills in front of the rear arches, the bottom of the frint wings in front of the doors.

Also check around the bootlid, above the numberplate.

Mk2/2.5 had a different design from the Mk1 for chassis legs, and these tend to be worse for rust than the earlier cars - if you can, remove the front wheels and have a good look if you cannot get under the car.

That money should get you a really tidy example if you take your time and buy wisely.

I used to own a 2003 mk2.5 which had lovely heated seats, came with a hard top and was nice and comfy to drive.

My current 1991 Mk1 is much closer to what my old MGB was like for driving - noisier, smellier and much more "raw" and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have a nice daily driver that is quick, quiet and has heated seats - I want something else from my high days and dry days car.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby davidrirvine » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am based near Clydebank and while I am not particularly good when it comes to repairs I do know someone who is and I would be taking him to any viewings. I will watch out for corrosion and buy based on condition rather thanage . You have confirmed my thoughts! Thanks to all.
davidrirvine
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users