Electric window mechanism

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Electric window mechanism

Postby Ginger Nuts » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi, my passenger window has stopped working. Took the door panel off and found that the cable has snapped, on looking around the net it looks like £77 for the complete mechanism from Autolink, MX5 Heaven and even fleabay, I've checked but no joy at SCB in Newbridge or UPullit at Inverkeithing.

Anyone know of anyone breaking a Mk1 that I can give a call - £77 just seems a lot to get a window up and down.

I'm even thinking about buying a bicycle brake cable and bodging it - probably wouldn't work but thinking about giving it a bash.

Cheers guys.
Ginger Nuts

Re: Electric window mechanism

Postby gm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:06 pm

There's a couple of mk1s in for breaking in AllParts, Bonnybridge ( 01324 819009 ) might be worth giving them a quick call. Replacing the cable is a horrible job, it is way easier to swap the whole mechanism over instead
gm

Postby Ginger Nuts » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Hey GM,

I gave them a call and he's checking but I'll need to call back tomorrow - thanks for the heads up mate.

If I manage to get my hands on one do you fancy earning some cold ones and giving me a hand get the window out?

I'd ask my wife, but beer for you would be far cheaper than the inevitable divorce lawyer if she was to get involved.

Feel free to tell me to sod off :lol:
Ginger Nuts

Postby gm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:10 pm

I'd be happy to help but got a bit of a rough rota at work this week, if you're not in a mad rush, I could nip over next week - wednesday afternoon perhaps ?

if you decide to have a go yourself, the key to removing the window is to lower it about half way so you can remove the 12?mm bolts that fix the glass to the runners, the glass will lift out from above then you can swap the mechanism over. make sure to clean and grease the runners before fitting, the old grease will be all dried up and manky.
gm

Postby drumtochty » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:21 pm

I have a set of cables and a plastic pulley to do on a Mk1 next week. Not looking forward to it.
Just changed both rear calipers on the car and one had to be assisted off with the grinder it had seized on the fixed upper fixed pin. Both sides were dry as a bone on the pin.

I ordered rear pads but in error I got Mk2 pads that are different.

One of the rear pads had half the friction material fall off.

The lady then said can you adjust the clutch on these cars!!!!

Bullet Proof these MX5's, Bullet Proof!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Ginger Nuts » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:02 am

I'm away on hol next week gm, yass! So if I manage to get hold of a second hand one - and it's looking more like It'll sting me mucho dineros to do so, I can give you a call and come to you if that'd be better.
Gives the wife an excuse to pop in and see our mates across the road.
You still in Currie/Balerno?

I hear ye Drumtochty - I'm sometimes left looking at a car thinking why me?? :roll:
Ginger Nuts

Postby OldSpice » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:17 am

I've got a couple of full mechanisms stored, with duff cables.
If you just get the cables, you could refurb them on a bench, then fit the whole lot more easily.
I'm only 15 minutes away from you in Falkirk (near the Wheel) so PM me if that's any use. You can have the pair for £30.00! since your a local lad :lol: :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Return to Technical