Advice please on what MX5 to buy

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Advice please on what MX5 to buy

Postby garyizme » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:45 am

I was a member back in 2009 when I had a new 2.0 roadster coupe. I sold that after 6 months when we went to one car. I now want another as a second car and want advice on what to buy please. I am looking at a berkeley mark one with hard top. Is there anything I should look for or check? Are the mark ones a better buy/investment/driving car than newer marks as I could go to one at a stretch? Many thanks in advance, max budget around £5000 for the right car, Gary
Gary McGregor, Perth area
garyizme

Re: Advice please on what MX5 to buy

Postby IanH » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Rust around rear cills, definitely fixable if present, how much depends on how far gone obviously.

For your budget you could do a lot worse than get in touch with Steve at Goodwood Sportscars who imports clean rust free examples from Japan.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby garyizme » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:39 pm

IanH wrote:Rust around rear cills, definitely fixable if present, how much depends on how far gone obviously.

For your budget you could do a lot worse than get in touch with Steve at Goodwood Sportscars who imports clean rust free examples from Japan.

Many thanks
garyizme

Postby drumtochty » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:03 pm

You seem to be coming from the wrong angle from what I can see,

You have driven a Mk3 and know what they are like but you appear never to have driven a Mk1 or Mk2 for any distance, am I correct and you are asking here which is best.

You have to take a test drive in all the cars and that is a mixture of dual carriageway and country roads in all the models, then make up your mind which suits you best, not what others think about them as the car has to suit you.

After that then come here for advice on that specific model but you have to find which car suits you first.

Steve Bloxham as Ian advises down in Berwick has a selection of Mk1's and sometimes an imported Mk2 in stock and has easy access to main roads and country roads 5 minutes from his showroom.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby garyizme » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:49 pm

drumtochty wrote:You seem to be coming from the wrong angle from what I can see,

You have driven a Mk3 and know what they are like but you appear never to have driven a Mk1 or Mk2 for any distance, am I correct and you are asking here which is best.

You have to take a test drive in all the cars and that is a mixture of dual carriageway and country roads in all the models, then make up your mind which suits you best, not what others think about them as the car has to suit you.

After that then come here for advice on that specific model but you have to find which car suits you first.

Steve Bloxham as Ian advises down in Berwick has a selection of Mk1's and sometimes an imported Mk2 in stock and has easy access to main roads and country roads 5 minutes from his showroom.

Hi, I was in the motor trade with Mazda in 1998 when the mark 2 came out so have driver both. I liked the mark 2 at that time with the improvements but liked the drive ability of the mark 1 so the reason for asking is I do not know how they are at nearly 20 years old and what the drivers would consider was best and which has aged better in regards to faults etc
garyizme

Postby Telly Addict » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:07 pm

garyizme wrote:

Hi, I was in the motor trade with Mazda in 1998 when the mark 2 came out so have driver both. I liked the mark 2 at that time with the improvements but liked the drive ability of the mark 1 so the reason for asking is I do not know how they are at nearly 20 years old and what the drivers would consider was best and which has aged better in regards to faults etc

I love the driveability of my Mk2, but then I've not driven a Mk1. I think for most people with Mk2s (myself included), it's a great compromise of raw driving fun and refinement. I believe the Mk1 has more of the rawness with a little less of the refinement. You've already owned a Mk3, so you'll be aware that they are more about refinement than raw driving fun/engagement than either the Mk1 or 2.

As Eddie says, you need to try them out for yourself. Perhaps go to the next meet and talk some of the owners present into taking you out in their cars (shouldn't be hard lol).

Cameron
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Return to General Chat