Locking wheel nut key

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Locking wheel nut key

Postby DrewN » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:42 am

I damaged the locking wheelnut key on my Mk 3.75 sport graphite recently and thought I had to get a new one from my local Mazda dealer. At the time I could not find the identity code of the key so the dealer was unhelpful, suggesting I get them to remove all nuts and replace with new ones. Rather expensive at dealer rates!

I contacted the supplier (McGard De based in Germany http://www.mcgard.de/en/home/customer-services.html) on their freephone number and they very helpfully said I could buy a new key for 18 euros delivered. All they needed were emailed pictures of the locking wheel nut, the V5 registration document and driving licence to ensure they supplied a bona fide owner. They could ID the key from the picture.
Their customer service also said if I sent the damaged key to them, then they would replace it free of charge.

So I packaged up the old key and posted to Germany at a cost of £3.95. Just over a week later I have received a new key, all for less than 4 quid. A result and what great customer service.

Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone else makes a hash of wheel removal like me. I blamed the dealer for overtightening at the last service but of course they did not admit this. I need to buy a long handled socket bar and not rely on the Mazda supplied wheel wrench.
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Area Co-ordinator
3.75 Sport Graphite Coupe
DrewN
OC Member
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Coordinator

Re: Locking wheel nut key

Postby Gavin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Great result Drew. :D . Shame on your dealer. :evil:
2009 Convertible Coupe 2.0L Sport now that the 2005 LE and 2007 Z Sport Limited are dead.
Gavin
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical