Help! - Late model retracting roof seal has perished

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Re: Help! - Late model retracting roof seal has perished

Postby OldSpice » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:52 am

That's shocking really on a car relatively young. It does not appear your car has been subjected constantly to chemically corrosive washing/care products either.
Mazda did recalls & warranty replacements on rotting boots & clutches (Mk2.5) + flaky alloys (through the years)
That's right up there as a warranty issue in my book.
Good luck with Mazda UK. They rewrite the book of Pontius Pilate. They are more slippery down there than an eel dipped in GTX.
Every seal on our Mk2.5 is as good as new. Seems to have been one miserable thing they got right. I've no seal issues on my '94 Mk1 either.
Already people are complaining of ND leather seat bum squabs collapsing/sagging prematurely.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby iain cooper » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:54 pm

the mx5 is a great sports car, but is let down by the build quality.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby Octafish » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:58 pm

I have just had this reply from Barnetts Dundee service manager so if you can get in touch with a dealer to register that you have the same issue I could refer to your case in my reply .I am convinced that there may be others out there who have simply not noticed the degradation of the rubber .

''Mazda have been back in touch.
They have not had any issues they are aware of''

They have now asked me to book it in so that they can take a look at it - I am beginning to think that they might just be setting me up to replace it then hit me with a bill-----
Octafish

Postby iain cooper » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:37 pm

looks promising, and as far as I know Barnetts in Dundee have a good name ?

as I said I drew it to the attention of the service manager at Phoenix in Paisley last year and he dismissed it, and since then they have lost the Mazda franchise.

if I am going to stay with Mazda I will need to source another dealer in the Glasgow area.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby OldSpice » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Octafish wrote: ''Mazda have been back in touch.
They have not had any issues they are aware of''

It would have been a similar story with the recalls/warranties for duff clutches & pressure plates, rotten bootlids, corroding alloys, cracking screens, wafer thin leather, paint, and the rest.
Someone has to be first,so now they do have a new issue..perhaps. :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby JimF » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi "Octafish", you should put this message on to the MX5 Owners Club forum http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/Forum/. This would let you know from a national feedback if this is a common issue or if you have been unlucky with a poor seal. A rubber seal shouldn't perish on a four year old car.
JimF
OC Member
Jim Ford
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Octafish » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:02 pm

We bought the car from Barnetts in Dundee and they have carried out all of the servicing and the logbook is up to date - major service in September. Have to say that they have generally been very good and I have had nothing to complain about . I suppose that they are in the hands of Mazda UK over this type of problem - -
I cannot understand why the section of the seal which is not exposed ( the door jamb) looks perfectly fine. Perhaps the cause is exposure to the sun which is affecting this particular rubber compound - - - - or Scottish rain :D
Octafish

Postby Octafish » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Well, Barnetts Dundee examined the seal and took the issue to Mazda UK and they agreed to replace the seal . As it was reported just outside of the warranty period I was asked to pay 20% of the costs so I ended up paying £125 all in including VAT which to be frank I am really pleased about as it could have been so much more . The service manager at Barnetts could not have been more helpful and she even provided a courtesy car for us. So, if you know of anyone with a retractable hardtop model get them to check out that middle roof seal ,esp if they are still within the warranty period in which case it would be a free fix :D
Octafish

Postby iain cooper » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:44 pm

good result Geoff, I've pm'd you

Iain
iain cooper

Postby iainf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Great result

Sorry things had not updated when I posted.
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:50 pm

Great result and nice to read something positive about the motor trade, instead of the usual complaints. :D

I used to be a regular customer of Barnetts VW in St Andrews, and their service was always exemplary. The service manager in particular was brilliant (forgotten his name) and moved to take over the Dundee branch. Sounds like it's the same guy!
John H

Postby iainf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Mentioned this case to Robbie the Club's Technical advisor and Mazda technician - he was aware of 2 such cases and both had been put down to rodents, I notice you mentioned possibly looked like mice! So I don't know if your dealer talked about that also?
Iain Fleming
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Octafish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:23 am

I think that the 'rodent' explanation is highly unlikely although of course mice will scoff anything . I only noticed the problem when a small piece of rubber was washed out by recent heavy rain onto the car roof. The surface of the rubber seemed dry and crazed and the piece I found seemed to crumble when rubbed between my fingers and so I think that it had deteriorated in some way rather than being simply nibbled .The seal is made from a form of sponge rubber with a surface skin. I would hope that the old seal would be returned to Mazda for examination.If it was mice then I have now provided them with a second course of their favourite seal as they seem to have avoided all of the other rubber on the car :D
Octafish

Postby Octafish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:30 am

John H wrote:Great result and nice to read something positive about the motor trade, instead of the usual complaints. :D

I used to be a regular customer of Barnetts VW in St Andrews, and their service was always exemplary. The service manager in particular was brilliant (forgotten his name) and moved to take over the Dundee branch. Sounds like it's the same guy!

He may have taken over as general manager. The current service manager is a woman.
Octafish

Postby iainf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:42 am

yes looking at your pics it did look a lot like the rubber had just perished.
I found the rodent explanation a little tenuous at best, but if there could be a 3rd party issue, better than admitting manufacturing defect!
Iain Fleming
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Octafish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Well,that's all for now . Hope my enquiries and the outcome might help if someone discovers a similar problem on their car.
Octafish

Postby PaulM » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:06 am

Saw the same seal split almost the whole length on a 2011 car for sale in Paisley this week. Have gone for a softop car for from another garage instead.
PaulM

Previous

Return to Technical