Spotted ... the rarest of Mk 4 MX5's

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Spotted ... the rarest of Mk 4 MX5's

Postby John H » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:21 pm

Mooching in Mazda Aberdeen today I spotted what must be the rarest of all the Mk 4 versions, the very basic SE spec car, and in plain white too. No screen, no sat nav, no no bluetooth, no coloured stitching, no coloured door tops, no chrome trims on the heater controls; just the basic car stripped back to what it needs to be a sports car and nothing else. I have never seen one before, nor I gather have most of the dealers. I have blown hot and cold about the Mk4, but this version takes it closer to the spirit of the original Mk1 in my opinion. I liked it. I want one! :wink:

20160303_123651r.jpg

20160303_124100r.jpg
John H

Re: Spotted ... the rarest of Mk 4 MX5's

Postby drumtochty » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:49 pm

In one of the newpapers this weekend they were showing Glasses 10 best cars for depreciation, the best were worth near 60% after 3 years according to Glasses forecasts. That particular MX5 Mk4 was around the bottom of the top 10 and at the bottom they are forecast by Glasses to be worth 50% of new price at 3 years old.

I wonder if any garage will be that interested in it as it may be difficult to sell secondhand as higher spec cars will be going for similar prices.

Not an issue if it is a keeper, nor for that matter if done on a PCP.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:44 am

Ahhh...depreciation.
There goes a subject that caused us a lot of agonising last August when retirement/lump pensions emerged.
You & I discussed this at the VIP Day?
I crunched the numbers for around two weeks..and rhetorically speaking lost sleep over it.
Really really wanted an ND..and John's find would have fitted the bill nicely.
In the end, we ended up with remetalled (again!) 14 years old Sport, my Mancave, Jen's Girlcave, and an entire garden makeover for the Waiting for God years instead of 12k over around 6 years of dreaded depreciation. It may well be...we will have a good pre-owned ND in a few years, but not now.
For the time being, we have something solid to show for it...that do not rust. :shock:

Life style & personal choices......
Here is our interpretation of depreciation.

There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby 71NotOut » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:53 am

Where did you get your girl cave from OS? We are looking into a bar/poker shack for the back garden.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:12 am

It was a heavily discounted (end of 2015 season) ex display from Malvern Summer Houses in Dobbies Stirling.
And, I do mean heavily discounted. :wink:
They had it on display for 2/3 seasons, and ended up using it as a storage hut..till I spotted it..so we cut a deal.
It's solid cedar, and would have been almost 7k new. So they took the deprecation hit. :lol:
We got it mucho cheaper, delivered & rebuilt by them...plus 10 litres of Barretine's "summer glow" Cedar treatment which it badly needed...having gone "cedar silver" in places.
My Mancave was from a local huttery, custom built for around £800.00 delivered. Soft pine though...so it's now lathered in Cuprinol Autumn something.
I "been busy" loike...but now I've got somewhere to smarten up some suspension I bought.... :wink: :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby John H » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:22 pm

drumtochty wrote:In one of the newpapers this weekend they were showing Glasses 10 best cars for depreciation, the best were worth near 60% after 3 years according to Glasses forecasts. That particular MX5 Mk4 was around the bottom of the top 10 and at the bottom they are forecast by Glasses to be worth 50% of new price at 3 years old.

Interesting, only 10% between best and worst, hardly worth getting excited about. Over the years I have tried almost every form of car buying, from bangers to brand new, and have come to the conclusion that the absolute worst you can do is buy a new car and trade it in every three years, which unbelievably is what most folk seem to do. I have also come to the conclusion that buying a high quality car new, keeping it for 10 years, and making sure you look after it well, is probably the most cost effective way of getting reliable motoring.

As for that MX5 SE, list price £18,450, but you can buy one brand spankers delivered to your door from drivethedeal.com for £16,770. Buy it at that price, run it for ten years, even if you then sell it for just a few thousand, once you work out the depreciation per annum it starts to look like a good deal.
John H

Postby drumtochty » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:09 pm

John,

These days I assume at best £1k to £1.5k depreciation a year on a normal car is the best you can do .

In your example of the base MX5 it is working out at £1,400 to £1,500 a year depreciation over 10 years from new.

Ok ,wait three years and get a three year old one for say £9,500 less £2000 at the end cost £7,500 divded by 7 years £1,100 a year.

To be honest at those prices there's not much in it between new and secondhand.

We are throwing that around at the moment between a demonstrator Suzuki Jeep and a three year old one as the annual cost is similar.

Our existing one is 8 years old.

In that case the Jimny is an 18 year old base design with a new design in 2 years time. That is pushing us towards a three year old one.

Then replacing it in three or four years time with a new Jimny when Suzuki have got the problems knocked out the car after a years production.

There is always a strong demand up here for secondhand ones.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:47 pm

My car is now over 26 years old and no appreciable depreciation is happening. I do have to spend a bit to keep her running, just like any car.

I do like the look of that basic Mk4, but I will stick with Mk1.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:11 pm

There is one unavoidable fact in all this ... cars cost money, which ever way you cut it.

I wasn't suggesting that my model of buying a new one and keeping it ten years is the absolute cheapest, but it has one huge advantage, and that is you are starting with a brand new vehicle that no one else has abused before you, not to mention warranty cover etc.

Lets look at my Porsche Cayman as an example. I bought it 9 years ago for £37,000, it is still under an extended Porsche warranty, I've done nearly 70,000 miles in it, and it is worth say £15,000 today. That's a capital loss of £22,000 over 9 years or lets say £2500 per annum. Indeed value has levelled out so the longer I keep it now the better the figures will look. I guarantee you'd lose more than that buying a new Ford or Vauxhall every three years. And that's for the privilege of owning perhaps the best car on the road, not some Ford tin box.

Sure there are cheaper ways to stay mobile, but if you do a real cost/benefit analysis, it looks good to me!
John H

Postby 71NotOut » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:21 am

OldSpice wrote:It was a heavily discounted (end of 2015 season) ex display from Malvern Summer Houses in Dobbies Stirling.
And, I do mean heavily discounted. :wink:
They had it on display for 2/3 seasons, and ended up using it as a storage hut..till I spotted it..so we cut a deal.
It's solid cedar, and would have been almost 7k new. So they took the deprecation hit.
We got it mucho cheaper, delivered & rebuilt by them...plus 10 litres of Barretine's "summer glow" Cedar treatment which it badly needed...having gone "cedar silver" in places.
My Mancave was from a local huttery, custom built for around £800.00 delivered. Soft pine though...so it's now lathered in Cuprinol Autumn something.
I "been busy" loike...but now I've got somewhere to smarten up some suspension I bought.... :wink: :wink:

Ah, my garden shed was from the same people.

Cost me a small fortune but it's solid, with very sturdy bracing, wood slats on the roof, etc.

I'll have a wee look online, cheers.

Every man needs a man cave [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat