Mx5 Mk1 help!

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Mx5 Mk1 help!

Postby RhysyG » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:19 pm

I've recently been really looking into buying a mk1 but also want something with more power than my current fiesta, however i've been struggling to decide between trying to find a pre-94 1.6 mx5 or going for a 1.8. Is there really much power difference between the two different engines?

I have read all about the characteristics of the engines however would much rather be able to see/feel how they differ and how some people think the 1.6 can be more fun. So wondering if anyone round the Dundee area would have one of these mx5s that they wouldn't mind taking me out for a spin

Also I can't imagine being able to cope with a convertible with manual window winders, so is it that much of an inconvenience when driving round with the roof down?
RhysyG

Re: Mx5 Mk1 help!

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:40 pm

I have a 1.6.

I have read that there is very little in it in terms of outright performance between the 1.6 and 1.8 - the 1.6 is thought of as a revvier engine, sometimes better suited to turbocharging than the 1.8, whereas the 1.8 has better top end and is possibly more relaxed if that's what you are after.

If you don't like the thought of wind down windows - why not look at a jap import Eunos? Most of them came with electric windows (although ironically, most are so slow that wind ups would be faster :D).

I used to own a 1.8 mk2.5 and it was a lot more refined to drive than my current mk1 but then it was a daily driver whereas my current car is for high days and dry days so I can live with a more "raw" experience.

I'd offer you a drive but a)I live south of Edinburgh, b)my car is in bits at the moment and c)i'm not planning on putting it back on the road until April time.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:27 pm

The Mk1 electric windows are fast enough if the correct lube has been used and the mechanism is in good shape just something else to sort out alomg with everything else.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:15 pm

I have an early '89 1.6 Eunos, with manual windows. I did have a UK '92 with electric windows. Can't say that I miss the electric windows so don't get hung up on that. I have found the manual windows so much more reliable.

Whilst on the discussion of power vs manual, I have found that the manual steering is nicer in my opinion than the power steering, with much better feel at speed.

As for the 1.8 vs pre '94 1.6 thing, well I have only ever had the 1.6 so can't comment. However I would say I find the 1.6 fun and free revving, and whilst you have to rev it to keep up with most modern cars, there is fun to be had there.

Overall the MK1 is a car you can have fun in whilst not going very fast. Buy on condition rather than engine / specifications. Best of luck with your search.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users