Dunlop vs Uniroyal

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Dunlop vs Uniroyal

Postby Ginger Nuts » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Pricing up a full new set of boots for the summer and trying to decide between Uniroyal Rainsport 3 or Dunlop SP Sport BluResponse.

Both have A rating for the wet with the Dunlop slightly better on road noise and fuel economy, just wondering if anyone has any "real world" feedback on either brand.

I was looking just to get the Uniroyals until I saw the Dunlops spec, both are are around the same price £50 a corner fitted.

Cheers.
Ginger Nuts

Re: Dunlop vs Uniroyal

Postby Brads » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Have used plenty Dunlops and think they are OK

Until I went to Yoko AD08R`s, after that anything else just seems a bit crap.

Buy the Yoko`s
Brads

Postby gm » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:56 pm

I've used toyo t1r on the Mazda for years but bought a set of uniroyals last year - I won't be buying the toyos again :)

On the road, they are good in the dry, really good in the wet and comically bad in snow.

What impressed me was how well they did on track - back in November I was up at knockhill, the forecast was for rain so I left my fancy ao48 tyres at home and just went on the road wheels. After a few laps to get used to them, I was amazed how much control I had in the corners, plenty of feedback and a lot of fun when I did push it sideways.

They've been on the car for a couple of thousand miles and a four hour wet / damp track session and have 5mm rear, 6mm front left on them - I'm quite happy with that.

Camskill are pretty cheap

http://camskill.co.uk/m53b0s99p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_195_50_15_195_50R15

(I'm up at knockhill this Saturday if you want to come along for a go in the passenger seat ?)
gm

Postby DTB » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 pm

I can only speak from experience of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 - which i had on my wrx. I thought they were great tyres! Very good in the dry and exceptional in the wet. I would certainly recommend them.
DTB

Postby Ginger Nuts » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, prices at Camskill are very good but the cost of Yoko's is still too much for my pocket,

Looking for something around £50 a corner fitted with class A spec in the rain which is why I ended up looking at the Dunlop / Uniroyal option.

GM, where did you go for fitting and how much was that?

I'd love to do Knockhill on Saturday but I'm working 12hrs :(

Drop me a pm next time your heading up though as that'd be brilliant, I do 4 on - 4 off 12hr shifts so I'll be free at some point - I'll even get the chips in at Kinnairds :D
Ginger Nuts

Postby gm » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 pm

No worries, will do.

Tyre fitting was done by :

http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13935
gm

Postby joeytalent » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:35 pm

+1 for Ian at Edintyre. Recommended him to a lot of my friends and they've all be very happy.
joeytalent

Postby gm » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:53 pm

if you're not in any hurry to buy the new tyres, we could swap wheels for a week and see what you think of the rainsports ? as long as you don't sneak off to driftoland :)
gm

Postby Ginger Nuts » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks for the offer GM, no I'm not in a hurry as I'm not putting the car back on the road until 1st April and was planning on doing the tyres shortly after. Never thought about a mobile tyre fitter before as I always imagined they would very rightly and reasonably cost more than a local independant. That said, if yer man Ian can see his way over the bridge into the Kingdom for £45 that puts a full set of Uniroyals at £165 fitted!! In which case I'll get it done at the end of this month.

Safe to say I'll be giving him a call, not sure what to do about disposal as a couple of the ones I have fitted are like new - it's just that I have three different brands covering 4 corners which is asking for fun at a wet roundabout! :lol:

BTW - you moved house?
Ginger Nuts

Postby mgrays » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:55 pm

Not all 5 experience but Toyo T1R good wet/dry .. not as bad as Goodyear F1 on ice .. The Rainsports on a fwd instead of toyos and Pirellis have done fine, also have sipes on them so likely better in ice than toyos/Pirellis/Goodyears but not had to really push them in last couple of years.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical