Help with what I'm after

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Help with what I'm after

Postby TonyC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi I'm interested in buying an Mx-5 but not really sure on the differences.

I like the idea of more power , leather interior , electric hardtop, low mileage and minted with a maximum budget of £7000.

Am I better buying private or should I be looking at a dealer.

Any help will be really appreciated.
TonyC

Re: Help with what I'm after

Postby sarahlc » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Hello and Welcome to the forum

Sounds like your after a Mk3 2.0i sport Roadster Coupé from that list. Should be possible with you budget. Good luck with your search.
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby TonyC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Thanks , is the roadster coupe the electric hood , and is the sport a more powerful engine?

Thanks again
TonyC

Postby drumtochty » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:00 am

The main finance method used to purchase cars around 2007 was PCP as it is now and people went for the least cost per month.

The majority of cars were 1.8 cars as they were cheaper, the 2.0 cars were purchased in smaller numbers. The electric hardtop was available from 2006 but not in big numbers until at least 2007 and they tended to be 1.8 cars.

There were also a lot of 2.0 litre cars that did not have the Sports suspension, they were the 5 speed cars, softer ride and will roll a bit more but still very nice.

Therefore if you are looking for say a 25,000 mile car around 2007 or 2008 you will struggle a bit to get the electric hard top, not impossible.

One problem with private sales with no warranty is that most of the sellers look at the dealer prices on Autotrader and Ebay and say my car must be worth that. Oh no they are not but that takes them a time to come to their sences.

Look at the small number of auctions on ebay, most are fixed price and check the completed auctions. That is what real people are bidding.

I wish you well on your search, the cars you are buy at that age if run in Scotalnd for most of their life will have a reasonable amount of rust underneath as Mazda do not properly rust proof their cars st the factory. Therefore look at Southern Englandshire not up here as they use less salt on the roads.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby TonyC » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:48 am

Brilliant , thanks very much for that information. I'm not shy about travelling for the right car so I've no problem traveling down South for it.
TonyC

Return to New Users