HID Kits

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

HID Kits

Postby Ginger Nuts » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi all,

Just about to purchase a set of Philips xtreme vision headlight bulbs when I thought I'd have a look at Bi-xenon hid kits.

Had a rummage around forums but can't really find any advice on powering the HID's for us with the battery in the boot, is there anything in the engine bay I could use as a stable power supply?

I've got a Mk1 Eunos and really don't fancy running a wire all the way back but if that's the only way then I guess I'd have to think about how best to do that.

I'm very undecided on buying them or not so before anyone starts lecturing me on the highway code and how much I will be fined, or how many years I'll spend in jail with Big Bobby the back door smasher for even thinking about fitting them :shock: .

It's my car and my back door, I'm just looking for some technical info whilst thinking things over - ok? :wink:

Many thanks guys - and gals!
Ginger Nuts

Re: HID Kits

Postby Telly Addict » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:37 pm

I've used HIDS for various cars for years now and as long as your headlight alignment is good, no worries.

Most hid kits are designed to use the original connectors, in which case you don't need to worry about finding an alternative power source, just use the existing plugs.
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby gm » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:59 pm

You could pick up a decent live at the main fusebox. Have you got some decent lenses fitted ? I fitted a pair of wipac crystals with osram night-breakers that were a massive improvement on the previous set up.
gm

Postby Ginger Nuts » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:13 pm

I'll have a shufty at the lenses this afternoon, for the amount of time i'll need to actually stick my lights on I might just upgrade the bulbs - but If it's a fairly straightforward job then I'll probably try the HID option. I travel to and from work at 3am when the world is tucked up in bed and I'm only 20 mins away at that.

I don't want to be one of the ones with blue lights dazzling all and sundry - I hate them, looking around the net I reckon it'd be 6k max in terms of colour.
Ginger Nuts

Postby OldSpice » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Don't know what bowls you have just now, but tbh, I did not look back with the well respected Raybrigs ( around £80/90.00 a pair) + Bosch blues.
I made sure the headlamps were adjusted with a full tank of petroland two people in the cabin. It's surprising how much hight deflection happens with the weight of fuel.
These turn night into day, and I've never been flashed with oncoming night drivers.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby mgrays » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Bi HID means that it would struggle to flash the headlights? Most factory ones are dipped beam only (I have an OEM MB one and a daily driver converted like that). It takes time to ignite the lights and so they leave the main beam as standard. The conversion just uses the existing wiring - you are using less power than stock once they have ignited. You would have to find somewhere to put the Ignitor bricks.. not much room for them inside the back of the Mk1 as they are 80x80x30mm approx. I had Hella H4 with some ummm 90/100 or 90/130W bulbs, now Raybings and the ultra whites.. both work well. TBH it is more the glare on these cars, you are siting low so you catch other car's headlights and the vertical angle of the windscreen makes it harder to see through as it seems to make scratches refract the oncoming headlights. So I would start with Raybings as you will need decent lenses either way. I do like the HIDs though.. it makes poorly designed plastic lights (say Mk2?) work somewhat!
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical