First mx5

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

First mx5

Postby Jim Mark » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:12 am

I bought my first mx5 in August. It's a Mk2.5 Arctic 1.8, with 54k on the clock. Despite having read all the horror stories about chassis rails/sills it did not put me off buying. I ended up with one that was on a sorñ and expired MOT! Not sure what I was buying as it was bought unseen in N Ireland. However it seemed to be as described with sills that had been fixed but were blistering out. Price reflected the cars condition. On inspection at home it required the chassis rail under the drivers seat to be replaced and a plate welded on the front jacking point. I was a bit miffed at having to weld an 11 year old car and it will require the sills to be done properly sometime. Also replaced the rear brake pads and a caliper
Passed its test with no advisories!
However every time I drive the vehicle I have a smile on my face! It just so much fun.

I have taken it off the road to avoid the salt, and will treat with anticorrosion when I get a chance. Should have done it by now but work got in the way!

Definitely do not regret buying, but wish it was not so rusty! But are there any fresh mk2.5 left?
Jim Mark

Re: First mx5

Postby IanN » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:48 am

Hi Jim
Welcome to the forum, plenty of help and advice to be found here.
My first MX-5 was an Arctic, great car I loved it.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby drumtochty » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:11 am

Two ways to get a clean Mk2.5.

1 A clean import for say £4k.

2 A long search in the UK probably in Southern Englandshire but you will come across lots of rusty ones.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby sarahlc » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:53 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. :D

Congrats on getting your first MX5, all the work will be worth it once you get to drive it. At least you went into it with your eyes open, so to speak.

Any pictures of the car and the progress so far?
sarahlc
OC Member
Sarah Close
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Jim Mark » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Hello Sarah
I will attempt to show photos of the Arctic when it was in the workshop... not sure if this will work

Jim Mark

Postby Jim Mark » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Look like it did work! Will post more soon!

Cheers James

Jim Mark

Postby Telly Addict » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Loving that cradle! God that would make so many jobs much easier...
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby drumtochty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Surprised by the rust around the front offside area a bit worse than usual and a good few areas where the rustproofing has broken down.

As you say the sills are getting crusty!

It's the usual cat and mouse game of is it worth fixing or will I call it a day.

As always your call!

Plenty of work there if you have the skill and kit to do it yourself.

If not then it could get expensive to keep it on the road.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Jim Mark » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Hello

Yes there are quite a few hairy bits! Front chassis rails will need attention soon and as I said earlier the sills will need replaced soon.
I do have the kit and some skills as I repaired "damaged repairables "when I was younger, mainly Fords which were always young vehicles so no problem with rust!
Are there any new mk2.5 body shells available abroad? There would be a ready market in this country for shells, I would be first in line!

The cradle is a copy of one I saw online. It makes welding so much easier. I am too old to crawl underneath and weld now. I used a telehandler to lift the car but you could use a winch.

Only disadvantage is you cannot work on the suspension or brakes when it is in the cradle. A two post lift is on the radar!

Here is another photo showing it's best side.

Cheers James
Jim Mark

Postby drumtochty » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:51 pm

To be honest there are clean cars that you could eat a meal off the underside coming in from Japan for £3k to £4k and they make real sence compared to welding up a UK car if you have to pay someone to do it.

That is not the case with you as you have said that you have the skils and kit.

There was a Mk1 shell early last year that had been imported was clean as a whistle and nobody wanted it, after a lot of hassle, I think it went for around £1k.

Therefore no economic sence to bring in a shell if they are around due to the low price of minter Japanses domestic market cars.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to New Users