FAO Liathach (re photos.)

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

FAO Liathach (re photos.)

Postby OldSpice » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:29 am

Hi there Liathach,
I tried to send these as requested via Email, but I think you must have a good filter, as with attachments, they just bounce back.
So, here is our 2002 Sport's issues/restoration as you asked.

Oh well, might as well go the whole hog with litres of injected drippy stuff, new Rota GT3 alloys, Khumos, SS exhaust, rear wishbones, new OEM discs & pads all round, ProGrip laser 4 wheel alignment, upgraded radio,new leccy ariel, new Panasonic battery, a new coat of paint, full valet & service :roll:
Ohh..and fresh number plates. :lol:

Ta-da Tishhhhh! :shock:

Merry Xmas :?
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Re: FAO Liathach (re photos.)

Postby liathach » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:28 pm

Many thanks Robin, much appreciated. If I addressed you as Colin last night, my apologies! It had been a long day!

Maloclm
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby OldSpice » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Oh don't worry.
I've been called worse in my 63 years on this God forsaken planet. :wink:

:lol:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Robin

What was done on refit two recently and what was the reason.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Eddie, Hi!

Refit, The Sequel...

Involved only the rear arches, and inner arch (steel) panels on both sides above the inner wheel tread area.
These were not tackled (almost) 3 years back, and responded well to a good belting with the BFH. However, it must have been kicking off......
These, together with the painter (now retired) who not pre-prepping the new wings at the time, had caused the paint to delaminate, and introduce sufficient corrosion to warrant...new wing edge sections from Mazda, and new OEM inner arch panels. So, pretty much, Penny has a new bum.
The chassis legs etc at the front, and the work done at the bottoms of the front wings, are still as new..and should be given the"stinky stuff" lathered into them.
TBH, by the time the final bum work was done, she had different coats on panels from OEM...through the years.
I was not happy, so the decision was taken that while the paint pot was out, do the whole bliidy thing bar the bonnet, and HTop.
The additional cost was pretty marginal anyhow, and I believe the result speaks for itself.
We had a choice a few months back ( after I met you) to either pack it in and get rid & get a 1500cc ND, or get it done nose to tail once and for all.
Each their own, but losing 6/8k in ND depreciation over 12 months plus the (frankly) shocking lip service to anti corrosion Mazda are showing with the NDs, they did not appeal much as I really really want one!
I for one have had enough Hiroshimaoxiditus Bottomitus for a life time. At least we have a really solid & essentially "new" Sport with photographic restoration "provenance" for less than an all-in loss of 40% of year one "ND depreciation"...and SWMBO is very attached to it. :roll: :wink:
What we did is complete lunacy to some, and perfectly feasible to others....so there we go.
Have to say though, the appreciation she gets ( the car too :lol: ) in petrol stations & car parks is quite heartening.
I think the fatter alloys finished it all off nicely :)
OldSpice

Return to General Chat