oil filter

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

oil filter

Postby hold on tight » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 pm

For the first time in 40 years I've been beaten by an oil filter.
How did they manage to put it in such an inaccessible place?
hold on tight

Re: oil filter

Postby drumtochty » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:01 pm

Agreed it is horrid to do but in the end you will get there. Use a cup wrench but Mazda even supply the filter in two different end sizes.

Sometimes 14 flutes by 65mm, sometimes 14 flutes by 68mm. Therefore you need two cup wrenches

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Cup-Oil ... XQlgtSqx3C

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/68mm-Oil-Filt ... SwuTxV-iXo

Some say removing the manifold support bracket helps to access the filter.

Others have used this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-LEG-2-WAY-O ... XQ83xSGIvD

This looks good but what size is it?

http://www.jassperformance.com/shop/maz ... ilter_Tool
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Telly Addict » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:35 pm

I had a similar experience last month when I did mine. In the end, a set of work gloves with sticky grips enabled me to get it off. A cheap set from the likes of Screwfix was all I used.
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby drumtochty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:25 pm

I know a slight built guy called Mark who used to be in the club that could loosen the filters with his bare hand on tech days.

He was handy to have about.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Dry hands and filter helps .. but it depends how tight the filter was put on. I hand tighten until it slips as the O ring swells when car is started so it never falls off .. then remove by tool. The splined cup is the nice way. The old fabric wrench works with a 1/2" drive ratchet but you need to wind up the fabric while it is on the filter while you hold the ratchet .. all in one hand in the dark with your arm at an awkward angle so practice a few times in the light first on the new filter. Also need to remember which way around you need to wind it up.. I have had filters collapse with fabric wrench but it has so far still beat it .. guess one about 23 years ago got a screwdriver through it and ended up chiselling it off but that was not on an MX5.

"Draper 13771 1/2-Inch Drive (21 mm 120 mm Capacity) Oil Filter Strap Wrench" is the Amazon description .. £4.85 today and works on any car I have had so far.. so a few.

Happy grovelling on your back with your arm up behind the front wheel.. or if small handed from above.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby hold on tight » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Job done. At last.

I had been using a chain-type removal tool which I have used for years, but needing three very small hands to get down to the Mazda filter, I gave up, and ordered this thing;
That was worse, and even more difficult to use in the very confined space. By this time, I had decided just to put the fresh oil in, and leave the filter for another day. For some reason, I got my hand on the filter and discovered it was slack! I must have loosened it last week with the chain, but didn't realise it had moved. So that was a relief. Getting the new filter on, was just as difficult and my arm has more scratches than a dog with fleas.
hold on tight

Postby Brads » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:15 am

I managed mine with no issue.

reached down and unscrewed it and then fitted the new one. No problem with access at all.
Brads

Return to Technical