New owner Eunos V-spec in Edinburgh

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New owner Eunos V-spec in Edinburgh

Postby mxige » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:19 am

Hi Folks

Been around lurking for a while I bought myself a Mk1 Eunos V-spec a few months back. So though it time to pop my head up and say hello.

I read there was a V-spec stolen in Edinburgh a few weeks after getting mine. So first job was fitted an immobiliser/alarm and central locking.
Alarm turned out to be a bit of a nightmare, it had one previously and looks like it was removed by cutting the wires and stuffing the spaghetti under the dash, glad I tackled it first as quite a few of them were live and not very well insulated could have ended up with smoked glass :? all sorted now though.

Next job was the water in the passenger footwell, yes the drain holes were blocked solid. Looks like caught it just in time, it had reached the ECU bracket and made a right old rusty mess of it. I have removed the carpets as they were ruined and quite like it without them.

To do list is ever growing
The roof is in really poor condition cracks all over the place
Suspension is really tired and car wallows all over the place
I need to get off the internet and get on with it really :shock:

I will hopefully come along to a meet one of these days, as its always good to steal a few ideas.

Mxige
mxige

Re: New owner Eunos V-spec in Edinburgh

Postby OldSpice » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:36 am

And so it begins! Theres a chap, from whom I bought stuff recently, has Eibach suspension for sale on this forum on your doorstep.
Good price, and it's in good nick.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby 71NotOut » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:58 am

OldSpice wrote:And so it begins! Theres a chap, from whom I bought stuff recently, has Eibach suspension for sale on this forum on your doorstep.
Good price, and it's in good nick.

He also drives a V-Spec :D

Welcome to the forum mate, nice to see another V-Spec around these parts.

Is it green, black or white?
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mxige » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks Folks

Suspension wise I recently bought some MeisterR Zeta-S coilovers but will be a while before I fit them. I need to sort all the bushes out first, there all 24 and never been touched :o, a full refresh is in order to tighten things up a bit. There is such a huge choice - polyurethane kits, Super pro, powerflex and I guess standard, that mixed in with all the sales pitch its a bit of a minefield. Im swayed by the IL Motorsport set they seem a good all rounder, any thoughts or experience of them???

Shes a Green one I probably paid top end for her body work looks pretty tidy, the bottom of the front wings are away but that seems the norm. I put a camera down the sills a few weeks back and I could see corrosion starting down the back end, I want to nip that in the bud as my last car was aluminium and I get a bit paranoid with rust. One reason I paid a little over the odds for this one, is that its not been welded and would like to keep it that way if possible.
mxige

Postby joeytalent » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:49 pm

You can get dinintrol rust convertor and cavity wax kits for the sills - if you take the kick plates off the sills, there's plenty of holes to spray it through.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
joeytalent

Postby mxige » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:57 pm

joeytalent wrote:You can get dinintrol rust convertor and cavity wax kits for the sills - if you take the kick plates off the sills, there's plenty of holes to spray it through.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Thanks Joey
I will probably want to do the whole lot.
I have had a quote from someone in Glasgow for dinitrol £435 which I thought a bit on the heavy side. I dont know of anywhere else around here that does it. There's a few down south I have read Pristine autos for one, there was a place in Morpeth but seems to have closed.
Dinitrol also do couple of kits for the MX5 DINGKMX5KIT1 but its one of those bloody messy jobs where you need a ramp/pit to give it a good looking at. I might have a punt at it though, my concerns are as I have to work on the street and can see me missing bits. I might have to buy a wee set of ramps we'll see.
mxige

Postby gm » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 pm

welcome - of the 5 x mx5s that I've owned, the v-spec was probably my favourite, shame it's previous owners hadn't taken such a comprehensive approach to rust proofing as it is no longer around. I kept the lovely wooden steering wheel and handbrake which will go on another 5 someday.

let's see some pics of your new toy :)
gm

Postby 71NotOut » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Have a word with http://www.preserveprotect.co.uk/

They were talking about offering a discount for a group booking (on the Central Scotland Eunos/MX5 FB Group page) was around 15% IIRC if they got enough advance bookings.

I have done it myself on my old Mk2.5 but it took 2 days with the car up on axle stands and it was a manky, horrible job.

I would much rather pay someone else to do it now :D
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mxige » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:52 pm

71NotOut wrote:Have a word with http://www.preserveprotect.co.uk/

They were talking about offering a discount for a group booking (on the Central Scotland Eunos/MX5 FB Group page) was around 15% IIRC if they got enough advance bookings.

I have done it myself on my old Mk2.5 but it took 2 days with the car up on axle stands and it was a manky, horrible job.

I would much rather pay someone else to do it now :D

Yes Im sure it will be a messy job with out a ramp/pit but you know its all done when your do it yourself. I will give them a bell see what they say though

Cheers - I will put a few pics up once I get her all sorted as the list goes on and on and on :wink:
mxige

Postby gm » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi Mxige, nice to meet you this evening, enjoy your 'new' alloy wheels ! I'll send you some info on track stuff.

Cheers,

Mark (gm)
gm

Postby mxige » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:27 pm

DSC_1778.jpg
Not posted for a while and I really I wanted to share this about “Preserve and Protect”

It took me a long time to find my wee car, (mk1 mx5) I use it as my daily and I plan on having it long term. I find the mechanicals on the MX5 are pretty straight forward, however dealing with rust for me is not. My last car was aluminium so I've not had to worry about rust for years.

I bought a cheap Endoscope to have a look in the sills and they looked really clean on the inside. I had her on a ramp a few times and noticed there was a few patches of surface rust, apart from that the body is in pretty good shape and not been welded. There is no or little under body protection on these wee machines and with the Scottish salt due in a few months, I thought it a good time to get it sorted. I toyed with doing an Underseal myself, but it’s such a mucky horrible job to do on your back.

So back in August after a lot of web searching, I found “Preserve and Protect” they are Dinitrol Approved Applicators for Scotland. So I called and arranged to drop my car off in Johnston near Paisley on Sunday evening met Mark and Samantha they are a lovely couple and both keen MX5'ers. Mark explained what would be done and how it all works the rust converter and all, then kindly took me to the train station I felt my wee car was in good hands. It took just over an hour on the train to Edinburgh via Glasgow. I received a call on Tuesday evening and my car was ready, I collected it on the Thursday.

Drove along the M8 home which seemed to get rid of most of the Dinitrol smell, it does have a slight odour about it, but it disappears after a few days.

I’m much more confident going into winter knowing my Mx5 is undersealed. I have added a couple of before and after pictures for you.
Attachments
DSC_1774.jpg
DSC_1776.jpg
mxige

Postby IanN » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:44 am

Looks like a good job.
My cars in the garage for winter but plan on taking mine to Preserve and Protect in the spring for a full under seal. Always reassuring to hear of good experiences.
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:38 pm

If finances allow I would get it done now as it will corrode over the winter even in a dry garage.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanN » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:15 pm

drumtochty wrote:If finances allow I would get it done now as it will corrode over the winter even in a dry garage.

The cars all wrapped up in a dry heated garage also on sorn so can't take it out. It's in really good condition underneath as it's never seen winter roads. Think it'll be just fine till spring :D
2016 Mk4 Icon Special Edition
IanN
OC Member
Ian Ness
Site Admin

Postby mxige » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:41 pm

They do a good job lovely couple too real MX5Heads which is always reassuring. It would probably take an extra day or so this time of year. It was above 20C when I took it so the converter would have dried really quick.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
mxige

Return to New Users