Electrical

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Electrical

Postby keevster » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Hello guys.
Got a MK3 MX5 2.0 sport. Car has done 60k, but its a good running car, well till last night.

Mrs came back from work, said, you've left your lights on. I knew I hadn't, but when I went out, sure enough, side lights where on. Opened door and buzzer went off to alert bout lights. However lights where not switched on, at stalk.
Started her up, turned off key, took it out and engine still running :D Stalled it and done this a few times, then car eventually stopped as it should, and lights where out. At this point also noticed the traction control skid light stuck on.
So checked all the usual, and looked at inner fuses down at passenger footwell. Floor is wet, and i have the dreaded rusty bolts up near fuse box. Nothing i could do last night, sat and watched to see what would happen with time. After 10mins lights on again, same scenario.
So disconnected battery overnight. Stuck it on this morning, 10mins again, lights on, traction light on and engine still running on when keys removed.

Called AA this morning. Waste of time really as he had no clue and did not look intent on finding out what the issue was. I directed him to foot well, which was maybe a bad move, as he was sure that was my issue, water ingress. Which it may well be.

I have had a quick look at the posts on the water ingress. However, anyone any idea if this is likely pointing to it, with the water ingress. I have ordered the little white clips to replace at bulkhead. Capable of doing that myself, but will need to wait two weeks till i get back from work.

However some advice would be good. Should i take this to a garage, get it sorted, or does anyone with the knowledge think if i clean out up behind fuse box and stop water ingress, that it may solve problem. Financially, its obviously the route i wanna go down, as its just cost me 200 quid to hire a car for two weeks, so escaping another 200-300 bill from a garage would certainly be nice.
I have 3 days off when i get home, i could spend a day dealing with this? Whats your thoughts?

Cheers folks.

Paul
Lotus Exige S240
MX5 MK3 2.0 Sport
keevster

Re: Electrical

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:48 pm

If you are competent with auto electrics then have a go, if not, it's better to have someone do it for you.

It tends to be a question here, if you have to ask the question, it's getting towards getting some one else to do it as other things can go wrong.

Just my opinion it's up to you!

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby keevster » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:57 pm

drumtochty wrote:If you are competent with auto electrics then have a go, if not, it's better to have someone do it for you.

It tends to be a question here, if you have to ask the question, it's getting towards getting some one else to do it as other things can go wrong.

Just my opinion it's up to you!

eddie

I'd say I am pretty competent enough to sort out the water ingress, and I can use a meter, but just have no clue what kind of fault I am dealing with. AA guy either couldn't be assed, or he never had a clue either. But if someone has seen this type of fault before, and what there cause was, I can work from there.

Thanks for your input. It may end up at a garage, but for the moment, will see what I can do myself, and if that don't work, garage it will be.

And sorry, cannot agree with your statement. " if you have to ask the question, it's getting towards getting some one else to do it as other things can go wrong" This is how we learn my friend. No one knows everything, its the experience of others, that can lead us to our answers. Hence my post, for advice, and If I fail after that, i haven't really lost much, other than my time.
Lotus Exige S240
MX5 MK3 2.0 Sport
keevster

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:07 pm

The problem here is to do with the electrics getting wet and relays not opening for whatever reason.

From what you have said it appears you are able to take readings but possibly not up on why relays are not opening and closing or for that matter where they are on the car. Also which ones do what job.

As you had not yet got the relevant electrical circuits available on the web for the MK3 that is what suggested to me that you are not up to speed on auto electrics as that is what I would have done.

Do not take offences but download the electrical diagrams and go from there if you feel that you are happy to go there.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby keevster » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:07 pm

:D
This is why I am on the forum, for some of these answers. Certainly not taking offence, frequented car forums since the internet began, so no the score. But I'll keep the post out there, just in the hope that someone else with a MK3 has suffered a similar fault.
I've done some digging and I can see that it has been an issue for a previous poster, sadly the post was not followed through with a solution.

As water ingress, at the same area on my car, is a very common fault on the MK3s, then I am sure someone may pipe up with their story. Also, don't take offence yourself, but I've been working on cars for over 20 years, so more than capable mate of finding wiring diagrams ect. But if someone can actually offer sound advice of what the possible cause is, or what a potential minefield it is, then I can work from there.
I am suspecting you have never had this issue Eddie on your MK3?
We don't actually know if the electrics are getting wet yet. There is water on the floor and a bolt next to the fuse box has rusted, so you would assume that this is a potential problem. However, it may not be the case, and again, if someone who has maybe experienced these traits on a mK3 or another car for that matter, then I can go from there.
I call it, getting steered in the right direction. A lot of knowledgeable guys on the forums, mechanics, ex mechanics, who generally can give a few pointers. I am with you on the electrical fault with water ingress, but it could just be coincidence, and its my ignition switch thats gone.

When i actually have time, I can get it stripped, check all fuses/relays and go from there.
Lotus Exige S240
MX5 MK3 2.0 Sport
keevster

Postby mgrays » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Did Ian not have Mk3 with a hole in the bulkhead that let water into footwell?

Quick google for "mx5 scotland ian wet footwell Mk3" found this;
viewtopic.php?t=13915&PHPSESSID=8c24a41a6731b2f89bdcd811737af92c

which leads to our Eddie's own post...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12674&p=88244&hilit=scuttle+grommet#p88244
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Return to Technical