Bought it

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Bought it

Postby L9XSS » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:11 pm

Did the deal this afternoon on my third MK3, after selling the previous ones and being without a MX5 for 4 months.
Probably not the best time to enjoy the car, but it will be a weekend, high days car anyway.its a basic 1.8 option model in jet black. I'm considering lowering the car with sport springs but keeping the original non sport alloys as they are easier to clean. It's a 2006 model, so 9+ years old.
Will be getting it on some ramps to have a better look at the underbody and carry out the necessary wire brush and dinitrol treatment. Checked all the wings and arches and there is no rust, bubbling etc.
When the weather lets up, it will be getting detailed and some new rear tyres. Any thoughts on best tyres for the MK3? :)
L9XSS

Re: Bought it

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:50 pm

If you check out the OC forum, the guy who sells tyres Nick and he is well repected and supplies track days etc recommends Kumho KU39 for the Mk3 and different makes for the older cars.

He says that the T1R's that people used to recommend are now using a different compond and are now not up to the performance level of other makers latest tyres.

http://www.motmotorsport.co.uk/mx-5--rx ... s-42-c.asp
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby softmc » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Nice score congrats , :D
softmc

Postby Scott_J » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Ive got Uniroyal Rainsports on mine, 2.0 Sport, and no problems. Plenty of people on MX5 Nutz using them. Did have Kumhos on my Lotus, also a great tyre.
Scott_J

Return to General Chat