M2-1001

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

M2-1001

Postby bmv6197 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Just lately there seem to have been a number of uber-low-mileage Mk1s for sale at £12-20k, which have sparked debate about whether those prices are even faintly realistic. Spending the price of a new MX5 on a 20 year old one is something most people wouldn't do, although one positive is that an old one at that price will surely not depreciate like a new one!

Anyway, just when I was thinking "you'd never catch me contemplating spending that much on a Mk1", this comes along:

http://www.southwestroadsters.co.uk/m2- ... 4590915040

No, I'm going to resist the temptation... Probably...

B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Re: M2-1001

Postby drumtochty » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:48 pm

The classic car market has ups and downs and mint Mk1's are starting to get there.

The price for that car are well into MGB Roadster prices, below mint MGA made in the 50's.

Towards the bottom of the TR2 and TR3 prices again 50's but in the same area as the less than mint newer cars.

Mint TR6's can be advertised well over £20k.

In the Spring, I was at the Classic Car Auction down from Dundee, Morris Leslie's and the price paid for very nice cars was a good bit less than people are wanting on Piston Heads etc.

Lots of cars and I guess 30%, were not reaching their reserve.

I talked to a few friends in the trade and they advised that they can get cars at less than they were going for at the auction and they only bid on one car and were well outbid by a punter.

Therefore I would suggest that especially with the number of mint cars coming in via Steve down at Goodwood Sports Cars.

You may well have problems getting £10k to £15k for one of these cars unless it is a special car and that the centre of gravity has to be getting towards what is charged by Steve.

Now at some time the source of cars in Japan may dry up but there will be minters or less than rusty cars in certain warm states in the US. Therefore possibly a source of NA Miata's in years to come that could keep the prices a bit more realistic.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bmv6197 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:01 am

Fair points, Eddie. The reason this one was of interest was that it stands apart from the low-mileage but standard UK cars out there and even the JDM limited editions, which are getting rarer but a) are still fairly plentiful and b) don't offer much difference from every other MX5 out there. The M2 cars were always that little bit more exclusive and even in Japan today are fetching 20kUSD+. If it were anything else I'd not think twice about it and head down to Steve at Goodwood Sportscars and pay a third of the price for a very tidy fresh import. But the M2 still lures me...

B.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby drumtochty » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:35 am

Different Folks like different things.

To me a car is to be driven and enjoyed for what it is. This car to an extent needs to be kept up to it's tip top condition.

For those that have been at Drumtochty, they will know that it would not suit my lifestyle due to the drive up to the house.

On the other hand, I know a guy nearer Aberdeen who has a god few XK150's etc in his heated garage and only drives them in the summer.

He has two 4 post lifts. One to service the cars and another with rollers on the bed so he can run the cars during the winter with the wheels spinning and not get salt on them.

Is he wrong and wasting his time? No not at all, everyone to their own!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to General Chat