bodywork

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

bodywork

Postby WGL63 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:11 pm

I am new to keeping cars clean!
I would benefit from a rough guide to light scratch removal and polishing for my mx5.
WGL63
OC Member
William Lindsay
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: bodywork

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:13 pm

Optimum approach (In my opinion):

Wash the car down using a pre-wash foam - for best results, use a foam lance attachment for a pressure washer (Autobrite) and I use Bild Hamber foam
Wash the car down using a wool wash mitt and quality shampoo (I use Meguiar's Gold Class just now) - use 2 buckets, with a grit guard - one with warm shampoo/water and the other with cold water to rinse mitt off regularly
Dry the car with a waffle weave towel
Clay the bodywork using a clay bar to remove surface contaminants
Wash the car down again post-clay
Using a rotary polisher (dual action - DAS6 or similar) depending on how bad the finish is, try something like Menzerna Intensive Polish with Sonus SFX-2 pad
Then use Menzerna Final Finish with Sonus SFX-1 pad
I personally then give a coat of Autoglym Super Resin Polish by hand - foam pad to apply, microfibre cloth to remove
Finish with a good coat or 2 of wax - something like Collinite 915 for winter protection, or Poorboy's Nattys Paste Wax

Obviously I have spent quite a lot of money over the years on car cleaning stuff (ex-valeter, old habits die hard!).

If you are just looking for something to get started, I would recommend as a minimum, washing with 2 buckets, and dry with a waffle weave towel or microfibre cloths (Costco good for bulk cloths). Then try some Super Resin Polish by hand and then a nice wax over the top.

Dressing the tyres with Meguairs Endurance Gel will make the alloys "pop" and bring the whole car up IMO.

Mazdas have quite soft paint compared to something like a VAG car so I find the products listed above work well for me.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:57 pm

+ 1 for Poorboy's Nattys. Trouble is, it makes you hungry. Lovely odooor-de-coconut. :lol:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:41 pm

<Using a rotary polisher (dual action - DAS6 or similar) depending on how bad the finish is, try something like Menzerna Intensive Polish with Sonus SFX-2 pad
Then use Menzerna Final Finish with Sonus SFX-1 pad
I personally then give a coat of Autoglym Super Resin Polish by hand - foam pad to apply, microfibre cloth to remove
Finish with a good coat or 2 of wax - something like Collinite 915 for winter protection, or Poorboy's Nattys Paste Wax>

I'm getting confused here.

I see where you are getting with the pre wash to soften the dirt.

Two buckets with grit guards to try to stop the grit you have removed getting back onto the cleaning mitt not a problem with that.

You clay to get ingrained solids off the car and then wash the debris away that seems simple.

You then put on three different polishes with three different applicators.

First Question

I assume these polishes are three different grades of cutting compound so you are removing some paint with each polish, so why do that as the Mazda paint you say is soft and that will wear away paint or is that being too simple?

Second Question

Then two coats of wax, why the second coat other than to cover areas you have missed?
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Yes the 3 polishes are reducing in cut each time and the ones with less cut give a better gloss finish. The final one, the Super Resin Polish is purely personal preference, I just like the finish it gives, but as it is applied by hand, it doesn't really cut very much at all (and it is not a particularly aggressive product anyway).

Remember this is not every time I wash the car, maybe once a year so it's not like i'll be wearing through the paint, although to be perfectly safe, the use of a paint depth gauge to see how many microns you have to play width would be pertinent.

A second application of wax builds upon the first coat giving increased durability and, to some extent, will also help hit the bits you missed first time around.
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Therefore if you wax say early November and you do that three times a year do you have to use a cutting compound again and if so is it just the final one rather than the three stage process.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:15 pm

drumtochty wrote:Therefore if you wax say early November and you do that three times a year do you have to use a cutting compound again and if so is it just the final one rather than the three stage process.

Generally yes, regular waxing and careful washing routine should negate the need for repeated polishing.

I would use the Collinite for a winter wax as it affords greater protection, but maybe doesn't have quite the same depth of shine that something like the Poorboys Nattys would give. Saying that, different products work better/worse for dark colour or light colours which is also a factor - Poorboys comes in 2 different compounds, white and blue IIRC one for lighter coloured cars, one for darker.

I am still getting my wee car up to a standard I am happy with - I haven't really devoted a lot of time to the bodywork since buying it, this is something I can work at over the winter alongside the myriad of other wee jobs I have planned so she will hopefully look slightly different (and better) next year.
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Thanks for that.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Agree with that lot.. mine was/is;

from fresh painted surface;
Wet n Dry 1000 grit
Wet n Dry 2000 grit

Wash + Clay bar if existing paint

Polish = Sonus 1 + Ulitmate Detail Machine polish + yellow sponge head
Polish = Sonus 2 + (forgotten which sponge... but not yellow!)
Polish = Sonus 3 + (forgotten which sponge... but not yellow!)

Glaze = Meguair #7
Sealant = Poorboy EX-P
Wax = Collinite 476
.. should be good for 6mths or more.

If you clay bar you end up removing the wax more often than not .. so you have to start from Glaze etc up every 6 months.

To be honest Collinite 476 is all most cars get .. only the Roadster gets a 3 layer finish and lately not even that. The Autoglym Super Resin is a cut/wax like Mer .. Good for a quick recovery of most cars and probably where I start on a standard car after a little clay bar work. Now have I waxed a car in a year ...nope :-(
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby 71NotOut » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:05 pm

I've been working n my Eunos today - bought some fresh supplies of Menzerna Power Finish so gave some of the panels a once over with that, then Final Finish and a coat of Collinite to finish.

Most of the swirls have now been removed and she is looking good!

71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Nice finish but as ever you are needing a bigger garage but we all need a bigger garage!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Telly Addict » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Nice job! 8)

drumtochty wrote:Nice finish but as ever you are needing a bigger garage but we all need a bigger garage!

Yeah, I can't even fit my 5 in the garage it's that small - only space for the motorbike... :(
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Return to Technical