Water getting into boot

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Water getting into boot

Postby chris-e » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:00 am

Hey wondering if someone can help... There's a lot of water getting into my boot and collecting around the battery!
I'm not sure where the water is getting in from but seems to only be on the right hand side, the seals all seem dry. There is also a lot of condensation on the boot lid.

If anyone could recomend a garage in the Fife area or Dundee area.
Any help would be appreciated.
chris-e

Re: Water getting into boot

Postby drumtochty » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:33 am

Tends to be the seal on the lights on that side that causes the leak.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby chris-e » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 am

Seems to be further in... The carpet is getting wet as if it's dripping from the boot lid but not sure if that's from all the condensation.
I'll check the light seals in the morning though
chris-e

Postby mgrays » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:36 pm

I had leaky Frankenstein bolts - the chrome ones for the hard top fixing except mine is an import so they are just screws.. a little dab of silicon grease on the threads stopped it. Rear light seals are definitely first stop.. otherwise the rain rail cracks on the soft top fixing to the body and that dumps into the boot sometimes.. actually more common than the Frankenstein bolts as I think about it.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby OldSpice » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:49 pm

As all of above + check the ariel aperture.
Remove all aerosol cans, anything cotton, or any large fluid containers. Cans promote condensation for some odd scientific reason beyond my knowledge.
I'm guessing it's a Mk1..whose boot floor gets fried by the exhaust, heats up the deep part boot well, and promotes condenstion on the boot lid. Very common.
I lined my boot floor with cut to fit home radiator foil/expanded foam sheets that you get in a roll.
Also lined the boot lid skins with it..that will sort it a lot.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby joeytalent » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:42 am

mgrays wrote:I had leaky Frankenstein bolts - the chrome ones for the hard top fixing except mine is an import so they are just screws.. a little dab of silicon grease on the threads stopped it. Rear light seals are definitely first stop.. otherwise the rain rail cracks on the soft top fixing to the body and that dumps into the boot sometimes.. actually more common than the Frankenstein bolts as I think about it.

It's worth taking the plates off and sealing underneath them as well. I'd test your rain rail as well - pour some water around where your roof meets the car and see if any of it gets into the boot.
joeytalent

Return to Technical