New mk2 owner from Moray

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Re: New mk2 owner from Moray

Postby Telly Addict » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:09 pm

drumtochty wrote:And the question you have not answered is there one wheel disc a lot hotter than the other after a drive using the brakes by a minimal amount.

Be careful here as it is easy to burn your figure.

Oh I checked this and nothing out of the ordinary, both fronts were fairly cool. I've stood on the brakes a few times and that seems to have sorted them out. They're not amazing, but not bad either. Maybe a little spongy. Fluid change next.

I'll replaced the plugs and leads for good ones and installed a new air filter and she seems to run a bit smoother now. Happy days.
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby Chuck and Gill » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi Telly Addict

I would suspect we will be up there around 12.30ish - but we will stop there for lunch at the Old Fire Station.

It's quite an informal run so we will be making up the route as go along.

Drop us a note if you think you can make it - or alternatively our contact numbers are on the forum so give us a bell.

Charles.
Charles & Gillian Sinclair
Area Coordinators Highland & Moray
Chuck and Gill
OC Member
Gillian & Charles Sinclair
Highland & Moray Coordinator

Postby Telly Addict » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:25 am

Chuck and Gill wrote:Hi Telly Addict

I would suspect we will be up there around 12.30ish - but we will stop there for lunch at the Old Fire Station.

It's quite an informal run so we will be making up the route as go along.

Drop us a note if you think you can make it - or alternatively our contact numbers are on the forum so give us a bell.

Charles.

Ah that suits nicely, I'll do my best to pop along. :)
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby Telly Addict » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Took the big earth lead from the engine to the body off and cleaned all connections. No change, but will add an additional heavy gauge cable to the other side of the engine connecting to opposite bulkhead; hopefully that'll help, otherwise it's a new starter.

On another note, I changed out the O2 sensor for a new item and that seems to have improved power delivery somewhat, result! Whilst I was in the area, I did the drilled airbox mod mentioned at the Old Fire Station on Sunday (great meeting everyone and a great turnout of MX5s). With the airbox drilled (about x16 20mm holes on the underneath and cold side), what a lovely difference to the sound it's made! With the improved power delivery curtesy of the O2 sensor, she actually feels (ans sounds) quite quick now :mrgreen:

Oh I also took her to a nice dent devil chap today and he removed the majority of the dints that were blighting her bodywork. I used the DAS DA polisher on her last week and that's brought her paintwork up nicely.

She's starting to come together now :)

ps. SS Racing Beat single exit exhaust arriving tomorrow :roll:
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby IanH » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Sounds like it's all going well :D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby 71NotOut » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Looks like you are getting her nicely sorted mate - remember to post up photos of the progress.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Telly Addict » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:48 pm

The new exhaust is on :D

Fitment was an absolute doddle; everything lined up where it should and even the old bolts came undone easy enough. It's very shiny, but I have to admit to being a bit disappointed with the sound...it's much quieter than I was expecting! That said, it seems to be getting a bit better now after a couple of days pootling around. A subtle baritone note is starting to make its presence felt. Hopefully it'll get a little more pronounced, but not too much.

Whilst I was under that end, I replaced the fuel filter for a new item (only minor swearing after a splash of petrol found my eye...). A couple of road tests this weekend seems to indicate more spritely performance (or it could be my imagination - but she really feels quicker).
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Previous

Return to New Users