Hi everybody, my first MX5

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Hi everybody, my first MX5

Postby Fiona Mc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi Folks,
I have coveted an MX5 for years but have always needed a practical car but I've finally done it!

I have bought a 59 plate (is that a mark 3?) 1.8 coupe in black. She is lovely. I bought it on my own though and hope she is ok.

At first I was so excited but I am not particularly comfortable or confident driving the car :( I feel it is a bit of a slog and I can't relax.
I am an experienced driver and never expected to feel like this.
I find it jumpy every time I take off in first and first to second is just not smooth.

I have had it for 3 weeks and have a 2 month warranty so I am having a mechanic check it over just in case there is a problem but I've got a feeling it's user error....lol

Any advice or tips would be gratefully received to get the smile back on my coupon. Or if there is anyone near that would be willing to drive it and see if it feels right to them?
I'm in the south side of Glasgow,

Cheers
Fiona
Fiona Mc

Re: Hi everybody, my first MX5

Postby Matt C » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Does it feel a bit better when it is warmed up?

I have a 55-plate which can feel a bit 'agricultural' when first driven from cold...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matt C

Postby Fiona Mc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi Matt,
I have been letting it run for a few minutes and watch the rev counter go down a bit before driving.

I like the term "agricultural"......hope I haven't bought a bit of a cow....lol

Fiona
Fiona Mc

Postby drumtochty » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Hello Fiona and welcome to the forum.

You have a Mk3.5.

Your message is not very clear so some questions.

Are you complaining about the gear change smoothness from first to second gear from cold.

Or are you complaining about the way the clutch takes up drive in first or second gear.

Two different problems with two different fixes.

The Mk3.5 had changes to the gearbox to improve the gearchange from first to second, therefore I think you may be complaining about the clutch being a bit juddery on take up.

Is this only when the car just starts off or also when the engine gearbox has warmed up.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:18 am

Fiona,
It's fairly common, this acclimatisation period.
My good lady has had a Mk2.5 (previous body to yours) for 8 years and has so far covered 40K in total with it.
However, it's just out of the coachworks following a full make-over covering four weeks.
Now, you'd think she'd just jump in and carry on as before...well not a bit of it. After a month of a Fiat500c courtesy car, she'd got used to it's cosseting controls & habits...and it was neck-snapping (my neck) Kangaroo City when she re-took the helm of her Mx5. She's fine again with it.

Mx5s are designed to be "driven", not just motored around in..although they will if you want them to. They do have more "razor edge" controls & are less "forgiving" than your average family "stodgemobile" to begin with.
That's how we like them, and that's what they were painstakingly designed to deliver.They like to know who is the boss. That's you. :wink:
The Mx5 Mazda "slogan", if you have not come across it, is officially "Jinba Ittai". This broadly translates to " Horse & Rider as one". You'll eventually saddle up, get the whip out, and take the reins! :wink: Try filling the tank, pack a flask & some buns, and blat the thing up to Tyndrum for a serious Retail Therapy session in the Green Welly. :lol: Do use higher revs available. They are designed for it and demand it. In fact they need higher engine speeds than you may be used to in your long experience to make meaningful "sporting" progress. You'll get to know each other, and it'll be just grand in the end!

Edit:
Just thought Fiona...in you car there is a known clutch adjustment tweak available up where the clutch pedal disappears. You will know yourself, if the clutch is not fully apart while selecting gears, it will baulk the gearbox and at the very least make it difficult, or even produce unpleasant "graunchieness"
It might be a combination of your seating position and an adjustment to suit your needs. In that sense, you will not have been the only one. I don't know how to do it, but someone here will. Worth bearing in mind. :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Fiona Mc » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:49 pm

Oldspice and Eddie,
Thanks for your replies, really helpful.

It's good to know that it's probably just teething troubles and hopefully i'll find my feet soon.

Cheers again for your help.

Fiona
Fiona Mc

Postby ozzbozzuk1 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 pm

hi Fiona im in the southside of Glasgow if you would like me to look at it for you .

Alan
ozzbozzuk1

Return to New Users