Underseal

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Underseal

Postby 71NotOut » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:29 pm

I am going to pick my Eunos up tomorrow as she has been into Preserve & Protect to get the full Dinitrol cavity/underseal treatment.

Looking forward to seeing the finished results and hope it will help ward off the dreaded tinworm for a couple of years!

Mark also thinks he may have fixed my annoying oil leak so fingers crossed, no more burning oil smell.

I will post some pictures if I get them.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Underseal

Postby IanH » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Pictures are always good :D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby 71NotOut » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:00 pm

OK, some random photos taken by Preserve & Protect pre-treatment (looks like the frame rails have taken a beating in the past!)

And some after (including some I took when I got home yesterday)

And one showing my annoying oil leak! Everything was cleaned up and the engine ran on the ramps for 1/2 hour with no signs of a leak. I drove it home yesterday and had a fresh drip showing when I got home :evil:

CAS O-ring a rocker cover gasket have been done recently.
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Not wishing to seem alarmist, but that rust in photo 4 concerns me just a tad.
You know your way around these things so what do you think?
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby 71NotOut » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:44 pm

OldSpice wrote:Not wishing to seem alarmist, but that rust in photo 4 concerns me just a tad.
You know your way around these things so what do you think?

I've been told it was just surface stuff where the underseal had worn away, nothing found when injecting cavity wax into sills, etc. so I am not worried.

At the end of the day, I have done everything I can to try and get a pretty rust-free example and had it fully protected so if I find myself having to get bodywork done in a few years, so be it.
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iain cooper » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:35 pm

great pictures and looks a good job.

I will need to think about getting mine done if I'm going to keep it for a while.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby drumtochty » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:36 pm

I had a 1995 import Mk1 on the lift a month or so ago that we touched up the underseal on, I think picture 4 could well be surface rust from looking at last months Mk1 and now looking at the one in the picture.

I would say 80% certain of that.

There are areas in the sills that are very difficult to get goo in and the car in the picture is a fair age and I guess 20 or so years old and made of mild steel.

Therefore say this underseal job was £450 and at worst it needs two rear wings and sills so another £1,000. We are talking £1,500 in total to keep it on the road.

The guys who are buying Mk4's on PPC deals have the assumption built into them that they will loose between £14k and £17k over 36 months and then they either have to come up with another £9k to buy the car off Mazda. Or a good few grand to pay the deposit on the next three year new car adventure.

Not saying these guys are wrong because we are all a long time dead at the end of the day.

Ok this is a new car but we are talking about £5,000 per year for three years and £9,000 at the start of year 4 as a lump sum ballon payment.

That makes the body work job loose change.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 1600eunos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 am

Anyone had this done in Aberdeen/shire? Seems a shame to let me MK1 sit in garage all winter.
Stewart
1600 Eunos
1800 Eunos - 1994.
1600eunos
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby trekker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:41 am

1600eunos wrote:Anyone had this done in Aberdeen/shire? Seems a shame to let me MK1 sit in garage all winter.

If you have the time why not DIY. If you have a garage, a set of axle stands and don't mind lying on the floor.

You then get a good idea of the state of the car for yourself. Can be worrying though :shock: :shock:
trekker
OC Member
Scott Struthers
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical