New mk2 owner from Moray

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New mk2 owner from Moray

Postby Telly Addict » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:12 am

Hi all,

I've been lurking the forum for a wee while and as I'm on my way to pickup my first mx5, I thought I'd say hello.

She's a 2000 1.8 SE in green with tan hood and interior. Done 126k but rust-free as a previous owner had her fully under-sealed when she was newer. Not much more to say until I get her, but I must say I'm quite looking forward to it. Oh yes, it's in Sheffield so just another 8 hrs on the train! :shock:
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Re: New mk2 owner from Moray

Postby drumtochty » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:02 am

Hope the rust free is as rust free as a rust free thing!

Welcome to the forum Telly Addict.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:26 am

Telly Addict wrote:Hi all,

I've been lurking the forum for a wee while and as I'm on my way to pickup my first mx5, I thought I'd say hello.

She's a 2000 1.8 SE in green with tan hood and interior. Done 126k but rust-free as a previous owner had her fully under-sealed when she was newer. Not much more to say until I get her, but I must say I'm quite looking forward to it. Oh yes, it's in Sheffield so just another 8 hrs on the train! :shock:

Hello and Welcome, Grampian Area is having a run up to Baxters of Fochabers this Sunday so if you feel like meeting other enthusiasts and showing off your pride and joy you'd be more than welcome, I'd expect we'd get there just before or around midday.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Telly Addict » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:24 am

Thanks for the welcome.

IanH wrote:Hello and Welcome, Grampian Area is having a run up to Baxters of Fochabers this Sunday so if you feel like meeting other enthusiasts and showing off your pride and joy you'd be more than welcome, I'd expect we'd get there just before or around midday.

Ah that's not far from me (live near Rothes) so I might pop along. Need to check what the missus has planned but hopefully free.
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby Telly Addict » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Well, got home last night with the new toy around midnight :shock:

drumtochty wrote:Hope the rust free is as rust free as a rust free thing!

Welcome to the forum Telly Addict.

She's not rust-free, but pretty damn good. Wheel arches are all good as are the sills, albeit she has pretty tatty paintwork. I expect she'll buff up nice though.

With a 460odd mile return trip I was able to get a good feel for her and there are a few areas needing attention. Most obvious is power. Now I know these aren't exactly beasts, but I'd expect more from the supposed 140 horses the engine is supposed to deliver! It feels very flat, almost asthmatic and I'm thinking a good fettling is in order; air filter, fuel filter, oil and filter, plugs, leads, o2 sensor and maybe a new sporty exhaust/cat.

I also think I detect a noisy thrust bearing, the brakes are a bit naff, the gearchange is very notchy, the windows crawl up and down and she turns over very slowly at startup. Oh and the stereo is rubbish.

So a few things to be getting on with :mrgreen:

If it sounds like I'm disappointed with the car, I'm not, I think she's great and as my journey back went on I found myself getting more and more impressed. I wasn't expecting the earth especially given the price I got her for and knew I'd have a list of things that'd need sorting. I do so love to tinker so this is right up my alley, so to speak. :roll:
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:23 pm

Telly Addict wrote:Well, got home last night with the new toy around midnight :shock:

With a 460odd mile return trip I was able to get a good feel for her and there are a few areas needing attention. Most obvious is power. Now I know these aren't exactly beasts, but I'd expect more from the supposed 140 horses the engine is supposed to deliver! It feels very flat, almost asthmatic and I'm thinking a good fettling is in order; air filter, fuel filter, oil and filter, plugs, leads, o2 sensor and maybe a new sporty exhaust/cat.

I also think I detect a noisy thrust bearing, the brakes are a bit naff, the gearchange is very notchy, the windows crawl up and down and she turns over very slowly at startup. Oh and the stereo is rubbish.

So a few things to be getting on with :mrgreen:

If it sounds like I'm disappointed with the car, I'm not, I think she's great and as my journey back went on I found myself getting more and more impressed. I wasn't expecting the earth especially given the price I got her for and knew I'd have a list of things that'd need sorting. I do so love to tinker so this is right up my alley, so to speak. :roll:

One thing at a time.

Plugs and plug leads first. Leave the other stuff until you work out what the perfromance problem is. It could be the cam belt that has jumped a tooth.

Is the car a mk2 or Mk2.5.

The door cards need to come off, remove the grease that had gone hard and spray with white lithium grease on the metal runners. Use silicon spray on the upper material runners.

The thrust bearing will stay that way for ages it also may be the spigot bearing in the flywheel but again do not worry about that.

The gearchange can be a soft slave cylinder they go that way and need changed, it could be the shift boot.
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/gearlever-shi ... -1111.html

As a last resort a gearbox oil change to Castrol 75W/90 Multivehicle no other Castrol gear oil as they are all heavier at low temps but as you were doing a long drive it is unlikely to help.

Check the rear cabin drains are clear and also the eight little drains at each jacking point to make sure they are clear and also lift the passanger side carpet, that does not mean feel the top of the carpet and report back if there is any water near the ecu that is at the front bulkhead where the passengers feet would be.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Telly Addict » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:40 pm

drumtochty wrote:
One thing at a time.

Plugs and plug leads first. Leave the other stuff until you work out what the perfromance problem is. It could be the cam belt that has jumped a tooth.

Is the car a mk2 or Mk2.5.

The door cards need to come off, remove the grease that had gone hard and spray with white lithium grease on the metal runners. Use silicon spray on the upper material runners.

The thrust bearing will stay that way for ages it also may be the spigot bearing in the flywheel but again do not worry about that.

The gearchange can be a soft slave cylinder they go that way and need changed, it could be the shift boot.
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/gearlever-shi ... -1111.html

As a last resort a gearbox oil change to Castrol 75W/90 Multivehicle no other Castrol gear oil as they are all heavier at low temps but as you were doing a long drive it is unlikely to help.

Check the rear cabin drains are clear and also the eight little drains at each jacking point to make sure they are clear and also lift the passanger side carpet, that does not mean feel the top of the carpet and report back if there is any water near the ecu that is at the front bulkhead where the passengers feet would be.

Cheers for the top tips! I'm always willing to listen to those with experience and you've given me a great steer for this weekend. Much obliged!
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Take the car on a 5 mile drive, is one brake disc a lot hotter than the others in that case a recon caliper is needed.

Otherwise remove each caliper and grease the slider pins with either silcone, red rubber or ceramic grease as well as the rubbing surfaces that the pad wings sit in.

Not coperslip.

Replacing the brake fluid is also a help.

Of course what is the condition of the pads and discs.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Telly Addict » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:22 am

drumtochty wrote:Take the car on a 5 mile drive, is one brake disc a lot hotter than the others in that case a recon caliper is needed.

Otherwise remove each caliper and grease the slider pins with either silcone, red rubber or ceramic grease as well as the rubbing surfaces that the pad wings sit in.

Not coperslip.

Replacing the brake fluid is also a help.

Of course what is the condition of the pads and discs.

Cheers.

The pads have about half their meat left, but contact area is about 80% on the discs. It doesn't pull either side, but feels a little spongy. I think it would benefit from new discs/pads, some fresh fluid and as you describe a bit of a strip-down and clean.
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby drumtochty » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:54 pm

And the question you have not answered is there one wheel disc a lot hotter than the other after a drive using the brakes by a minimal amount.

Be careful here as it is easy to burn your figure.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Telly Addict » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:00 pm

drumtochty wrote:And the question you have not answered is there one wheel disc a lot hotter than the other after a drive using the brakes by a minimal amount.

Be careful here as it is easy to burn your figure.

I'll have a check tomorrow, but I suspect the calipers are ok - it pulls up straight and I haven't noticed any binding.

Today, following your advice, I attended the windows with silicone and lithium grease and now they work a treat - many thanks. While I was at it, I treated her to an oil and filter change - that filter is a bit of a bugger to get to, the veins were popping out of my forehead trying to unscrew it with just two fingers! Still, it's done and she's purring.

I also checked the battery, as she cranks very slowly. Battery seemed fine and the charging voltage was ok, so I swapped in another battery from my diesel bus which made little difference. I suspect the starter is the culprit, so intend removing it and taking it to a local auto electrician (will check the wiring to starter while at it). Looking at Haynes book of lies, it seems to be a bit of an awkward job. Maybe a job for next week...
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby drumtochty » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Yes a ramp is a handy thing.

Not convinced it is not an earth fault.

Check the thick earth cable out the boot and the heavy one from the engine / gearbox to the body
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Telly Addict » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:21 pm

drumtochty wrote:Yes a ramp is a handy thing.

Check the thick earth cable out the boot and the heavy one from the engine / gearbox to the body

Good point. I checked the boot earth cable while swapping batteries and it seemed ok. I'll check the engine earth strap tomorrow. Cheers again.
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby Telly Addict » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Nice to meet Ian, Mark, Stuart and the rest of the posse today @ Baxters Fochabers. It was lovely to see the gaggle of mx5s together and despite being the oldest car there, ours didn't look too out of place.

Loved the forest drive back to Rothes from Fochabers too, didn't even know that road existed!

Cameron
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby Telly Addict » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:38 pm

drumtochty wrote:Yes a ramp is a handy thing.

Where is the heavy one from engine connected to and from? I can't really see one...
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Postby drumtochty » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:59 pm

I will have a look tommorrow,

Maybe the earth is throught the frame from the diff and gearbox.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:08 am

99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:34 am

Telly Addict wrote:Nice to meet Ian, Mark, Stuart and the rest of the posse today @ Baxters Fochabers. It was lovely to see the gaggle of mx5s together and despite being the oldest car there, ours didn't look too out of place.

Loved the forest drive back to Rothes from Fochabers too, didn't even know that road existed!

Cameron

Nice to catch up too Cameron, your car with the BRG/Tan combination is one of the nicest mixtures to grace the MX-5, hope you get the niggles sorted out without too much difficulty and look forward to catching up again :D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Chuck and Gill » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:23 am

Hi Telly Addict,

Belated welcome - just back from holiday.

Glad to see you had a good day out with the Grampian crew.

Highland & Moray will probably have a wee run out on Sunday this weekend up to Tomintoul if you fancy it.

Details will be up on the Highland & Moray section of this website shortly.

We also have a private facebook group on the go - so if you want to join in then pm me with your email address and will send you an invite.
Charles & Gillian Sinclair
Area Coordinators Highland & Moray
Chuck and Gill
OC Member
Gillian & Charles Sinclair
Highland & Moray Coordinator

Postby Telly Addict » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Chuck and Gill wrote:Hi Telly Addict,

Belated welcome - just back from holiday.

Glad to see you had a good day out with the Grampian crew.

Highland & Moray will probably have a wee run out on Sunday this weekend up to Tomintoul if you fancy it.

Details will be up on the Highland & Moray section of this website shortly.

We also have a private facebook group on the go - so if you want to join in then pm me with your email address and will send you an invite.

Cheers :D

What time are you headed out tomorrow? I'm busy in the morning but have the afternoon spare.
00 Mk2 1.8 SE BRG / Tan
Telly Addict

Next

Return to New Users