Kendo Alloys Query

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Kendo Alloys Query

Postby bobjay » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:38 pm

Scuffed my wheel and need to find the correct paint for the alloys fitted to the 2011 Kendo model. It's proving to be difficult finding it. Can anyone help?

If not can anyone recommend someone who can do the job for me. I know that Chips Away do it but my experience is that it is down to the person doing the job.
bobjay
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Kendo Alloys Query

Postby drumtochty » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:58 am

The alloys are supplied to Mazda powder coated by the wheel manufacturer and I do not believe they are painted by Mazda.

Therefore if I'm correct, there is no paint to match and in turn no paint to purchase.

Your best bet would be to find a powder coater or paintshop who can help by mixing something from their range after checking the wheel with a scanner to attempt to match the finish which may not be exact.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bobjay » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:42 pm

Thanks for that. It's going in to Carrick in Prestwick next week, they reckon they can manage a decent match.
bobjay
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby roadsterfan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi, could you let me know how you got on with the colour match of your alloys plz. I too have a Kendo and I too have a scuff on mine. Much appreciated.
roadsterfan

Postby bobjay » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi Roadsterfan, very pleased with the job. Because colour match could be close but not 100% accurate I had both wheels on the near side done at £50 per wheel. If car goes in before 8.30am they have it ready by 4pm.

I have used Carrick before and they always do an excellent job.
bobjay
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:20 am

Had a similar issue with non standard wheel colours.

The way forward is to find who has a paint scanner e.g. PPG Rapidmatch (Chips away franchise use this). This will need a flat area about 40mm square ideally to scan the paint but you can trick it into doing it over smaller areas with a less accurate result. My local paint supplier had a scanner and do it for free.. presuming you buy their more expensive (But better quality) paint :-). I have just used a paint pen from Halfrauds etc for small chips; they usually let you waft in/out checking colours to get a fair match .. Of course you could just let the trades do their magic..

.. my result on my non Mazda was "Mazda steel grey mica metallic".. which is a good match. The material to paint a metallic finish wheel would be £20 at least so £50 is cheap .. min colour mix is about £12/0.25 litre of paint. It cost me £200 to find a used 18" rim, chemical dip and sand blast, fix the fake rim bolts, get the wrong colour plastic coat, and finally DIY the paint job so sounds like you had a decent result.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby roadsterfan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks for all the advice and tips guys. Much appreciated. Long live the roadster !
roadsterfan

Return to Technical