MX5 Mk4 Underside

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

MX5 Mk4 Underside

Postby drumtochty » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:46 pm

This afternoon we had a Mk4 on the lift to look at the possible need for topping up the factory underseal.

First thoughts are there are a good few areas that need a further application of Goo.

Behind rear bumper

The rear bulkhead

other side

Beside rear exhaust box

Typical subframe pick up point lack of underseak coating.

Towards the rear on both sides is this access hole

There is a very large area in there with no underseal see this picture from the scope

Again the chassis rail / subframe pick up point.

This plastic sill protector covers a section of sill with no underseal, this needs sorted in order not to be a home for water and mud which is not a cars best friend.

Last edited by drumtochty on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: MX5 Mk4 Underside

Postby OldSpice » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:54 pm

No comment that is "printable".
You know why Eddie. :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby IanH » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Dinitrol products on order....
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby iain cooper » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:07 pm

That's shocking, no protection at all, no wonder they rust so much.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby liathach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:19 am

Keep it in the garage till you have applied the Dinitrol Iain - Jimny to the west coast?
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby IanH » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:38 am

liathach wrote:Keep it in the garage till you have applied the Dinitrol Iain - Jimny to the west coast?

Er Jimny, no... no road salt around for some months and hopefully a little while before any new is used, hopefully get it attended to in the next couple of weeks.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby liathach » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Disappointing that there are so many bare patches. Without Eddie's 2-post, it would likely have been a long time before you might have noticed surface rust developing.
There was a guy in Tayside a few years ago (Chiefy?) who was commenting on the MX5's poor rustproofing at that time (Mk3) and he was castigated for daring to suggest such a thing. He's probably having a quiet chuckle to himself if he still looks at the website.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby drumtochty » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:31 pm

He last logged in 2012.

This was the post.

viewtopic.php?t=8060
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:31 pm

The hole I refered to on each side just above the boroscope picture should have been covered with a rubber plug. Looking at the Mazda portal I reckon but check with your Mazda garage it is Part Number

FD01-56-051.

You need two, they are in with the owners manual in some cars delivered to the US. The cost is £4.61 plus vat and I think that is each.

Check your owners manual and if they are not in there and the hole is not covered tell your Mazda dealer to get them at Mazda's cost.
Last edited by drumtochty on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iainf » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:00 pm

on the mk3.5 the bungs were in the glovebox.

ahh...
Iain Fleming
National Events | Branding, Press & PR | Merchandise www.mx5oc.co.uk/store
iainf
OC Member
Iain Fleming
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Yes they guys on Miata.net were saying that.

I have the feeling it's not part of the PDI dealer check list so Mazda should fit them at the UK import pound I guess.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Macdond » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 pm

What can I say, yet again Mazda make a fantastic car and ruin it by not sealing it properly. I can just imagine what these cars are going to look like after 5 years of our salty winter roads. For a car north of 20k they really should be doing a bit more :twisted: . Maybe it's the right time to buy shares in the rust proofing companies :D
Macdond

Postby IanH » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:06 pm

drumtochty wrote:The hole I refered to on each side just above the boroscope picture should have been covered with a rubber plug. Looking at the Mazda portal I reckon but check with your Mazda garage it is Part Number

FD01-56-051.

You need two, they are in with the owners manual in some cars delivered to the US. The cost is £4.61 plus vat and I think that is each.

Check your owners manual and if they are not in there and the hole is not covered tell your Mazda dealer to get them at Mazda's cost.

They are in the post to me...
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby Woody140 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Excellent post drumtochty. As a newbie MX5 and mk4 owner my enthusiasm for what is a great little car is somewhat dulled after seeing this post, I was looking forward to many years of bulletproof and reliable miles.

Does anyone know if Mazda UK is aware of this problem and what their reaction is, as I am yet to contact my dealer?

IanH, do you intend applying the Dinitrol yourself and if so are you going to cover/recover everything just in case?
Woody140

Postby liathach » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Since it was the same with the Mk3 etc, I suspect Mazda UK will know that the rustproofing is "patchy". Will they be bothered - I don't think so. The mechanicals do seem to be pretty reliable and by the time rust is evident, it will be many years down the line of ownership. And don't go near a Mk2.5 unless you want to wear the engine in a shunt!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby drumtochty » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Ian and myself will be doing his car next week . Then we will write up what we did with pictures and publish it on the various forums.

Then we will do Lorraine's car another Grampian member.

Yes we will have to mask some areas but it will in a lot of cases be a top up rather than a complete recoat as there are plenty areas with enough coverage with rust proofing.

Mazda have made no real statement about how much rust proofing they do and the vast majority of new car owners pass the cars on within 4 years so why would Mazda bother about things that much.

Now Malcolms Merc is way better protected as we saw at the Tech day 18 months ago when it was on the ramp.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Woody140 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:20 pm

drumtochty as a heads up, what quantity and of which Dinitrol product will you need per car?
Woody140

Postby drumtochty » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:55 pm

Dinitrol do two kits for older MX5 cars and as a starter I would assume that these would be a first step.

In saying that are you going to completely recover the existing coating and also the areas that have not been done or are you only going to do the areas that have been missed on the underside and spray it into the cavities that have not been coated.

I can give you a better answer after we have done Ian's car.

There is a tube of rust convertor in each kit that I assume will not be required on a new car but that's just my thoughts at the moment

If you or the people who are going to do it have a compressor then this kit is what Dinitrol recommend for an MX5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINITROL-MAZD ... 3376d7537d

If you do not have a compressor this kit is similar but use aerosols for all the products.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINITROL-MAZD ... 3376d7536f

A number of people who got their Mk1's done have had rust since due to the fact that certain cavities at the back of the sills were not reachable from the existing inspection holes and only recently after people have repaired their cars do we now know where to drill extra holes on the older cars.

At the moment we know of one main area to get into the Mk4 cavities but this will be a learning process.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:30 am

Woody140 wrote:drumtochty as a heads up, what quantity and of which Dinitrol product will you need per car?

You're not really that far from him Woody. :wink: The Syntrans tinted Tuna sarnies are excellent, and you wont need Exlax for a year due to the internal upper combustion chamber properties. :lol:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby chiefy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:28 pm

liathach wrote:Disappointing that there are so many bare patches. Without Eddie's 2-post, it would likely have been a long time before you might have noticed surface rust developing.
There was a guy in Tayside a few years ago (Chiefy?) who was commenting on the MX5's poor rustproofing at that time (Mk3) and he was castigated for daring to suggest such a thing. He's probably having a quiet chuckle to himself if he still looks at the website.

Yoh - Chiefy here - by sheer coincidence I've been out on my bike today with the Mrs and pointed out a couple of 58 plate cars down the Ferry that had serious rust problems. Tonight I popped onto the old forum to catch up and noticed this string. Anyways guys I'm not chuckling as that's not fair or grown up but it is a shame that such a cracking car is a wee bit spoilt just for the lack of a bit extra gooey stuff underneath. Still at least it's fixable if you catch it early enough. Where have I been all these years? - got into motorbikes and had a dreadful accident three years ago - fully recovered and thankfully seen sense - bicycles only from now on. What am I driving now? - a 99 Boxster and loving it but I do miss the the Mx5 Club and have been giving the new Mx5 a serious looking at....
A mistake is merely a missed opportunity to get it right.
chiefy

Next

Return to Technical