Looking for help in choosing an MX5

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Looking for help in choosing an MX5

Postby stugee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the MX5 scene and fancy getting one for tracking. I've seen a couple and not sure which is the best to go for and looking for some advice, from a neutral perspective.

The first car is a 1.8 Mk1 import, lowered on cheap coilovers and wide 8.25" rims (not to my taste). I haven't seen the car in person but the person is willing to drive it up from Manchester to me for the cost of petrol and a return ticket and has provided me with a load of photos. There is lots of history, but the last MOT has an advisory for sill and floor rust.

The second car is a 1.8i Mk2 which is local and I could see prior to buying. All the usual rusty bits have been properly treated, it has lowering springs and a TR lane roll bar.

Both cars have exhaust / induction mods.

I really want a car with an LSD, the Mk2 is a few hundred cheaper, do I go for the mk2 and fit a diff (which I'm leaning to at the moment) and if so should I get a diff do I need to change the driveshafts / any other bits too?

Sorry for the longwinded first post!
stugee

Re: Looking for help in choosing an MX5

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:50 pm

It sounds to me like there are compromises with both cars you have listed.

Why not take your time and I am sure you will find an ideal car that ticks all your boxes?

There are a lot of cheap MX5/Eunos available (loads of groups on Facebook with For Sale sections), as well as on here, and MX5 Nutz, etc.

If you are not too fussy about a perfect car then you should be able to pick something up that suits.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby stugee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Cheers, I agree but I also have a limited budget. I reckon I will need to make one or two compromises with the initial purchase then remedy them through time:

Mk1 negatives - No Roll Bar, Potentially wrong wheels, sill rust

Mk2 negatives - No LSD, quality of rust repair, 16" wheels

So the question is, what would cost more to remedy, fitting a TR Lane roll bar or getting an LSD fitted? As I reckon I could sell the wheels and buy a replacement set and be cost neutral.
stugee

Postby 71NotOut » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:39 pm

I would have thought fitting a roll bar would be MUCH easier than changing to an LSD.

As well as TR Lane, have a look at GCF (GC Fabrications) - they are offering a group buy on MX5 Nutz just now and getting good rep on their rollbars.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:10 pm

I'd go and look at the Mk2 first and see how solid it is - and check the chassis rails.

If the Mk1 has rusty sills, I wouldn't even entertain it unless you're wanting to pay a few hundred quid to get it fixed ASAP, as it will only get worse.

Then think about modifications.
joeytalent

Postby gm » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Would you post links to the cars in question so we can get a better idea ?

the mk1 with cheap suspension and massive wheels will not drive well, and advisories for sill rust will soon turn into bills for repairs. All mk2s eventually succumb to corrosion in the chassis rails so you need to be very careful there.

what plans do you have for the car, why is a limited slip diff important ? If you are going to fling it round the track, or slide it round driftland, then cosmetics are probably of secondary concern but you need it to be solid in the right places. Also remember, big wheels will need big tyres - stick with 15"s to keep costs down. A mk1 won't thank you for putting big wheels on it unless they are expensive and very light.

There are loads of mk2s for sale right now, not so many mk1s but as autumn draws in, you should be able to pick up a bargain.
gm

Postby Brads » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:01 am

Theres a bloke in Walkerburn near Gala deals in Mk2`s, pretty high quality stuff as well, but at great prices.

Likes to track down imports, so theres your LSD sorted.
Brads

Return to Technical