QUESTION REGARDING CORROSION MK3

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

QUESTION REGARDING CORROSION MK3

Postby softmc » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:25 am

Hi

This maybe a silly question but I will ask anyway Ihave a 2006 MK3 that i got 2months ago I had a look underneath and there are signs of corrosion but nothing that looked serious 1 side of the car under the sills looks worse than the other (maybe it sat in a drive facing the weather in previous times) also there are some mild wheel arch bubbles that I have repaired
so my question is I intend to keep this car in my garage which is very dry for the winter should this in effect stall any corrosion developing or will it continue to rust ?

thanks Del
softmc

Re: QUESTION REGARDING CORROSION MK3

Postby drumtochty » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:14 am

The cars are not that well covered underneath from the factory.

Most 5 or 6 year old cars I have checked underneath are needing.

Wheels and covers removed, cleaned underneath and any surface rusty areas rubbed down and rust converted say one day.

All repaired areas primmed and top coated one day at best as you have to wait between coats of paint.

Application of Dinitol, Dynax or your choice of goo then replace wheel arch protectors and wheels.

Therefore a three day job.

Also as in your case any area with deeper rust posibly cut out, filled and recoated.

Sorry if you just wanted someone to say everything will be just fine by keeping a rusting car in a garage but there is a lot of work to be done there.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: QUESTION REGARDING CORROSION MK3

Postby softmc » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:49 pm

OK

Thanks I will need to get it up on a ramp for a thourgh inspection and address any issues now

cheers Del
softmc

Return to Technical