mk1 newb

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

mk1 newb

Postby rustyarchs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:54 am

spose i better say hi, so erm Hi

bought a lil project about 10 days ago for my birthday (mgf owner for 7 years but as shes currently off the road so i thought i'd try the dark side)

anyways so far I've lost my fingertips trying to bring back the faded pink back to a kinda red fixed both leccy windows 1 was a snapped wire so replaced the whole lot and the other was a dead rusted motor so used the coil and magnet casing that worked from the other side and some home made brackets as the damn thing was handed but hey you get used to finding weird fixes when you own an mgf lol , traced the gremlin messing with the fog light and kind of have it running with only an intermittent misfire now so sticking it in for an MOT tomorrow so see what else needs done... thinking emissions and brakes may be my downfall but I spose that will be dealt with when it happens

I maybe should have bought one that runs but this didn't have much rust at all so that swung it for me, despite the username this car actually has perfect arch's lol i've been around car forums for year's with this username so never know i may have bumped into some of you guys in the past :)
rustyarchs

Re: mk1 newb

Postby 71NotOut » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:57 am

Welcome mate, good luck for the MOT :D
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:40 pm

Buying on body condition is by far the best way, as everything else can be fixed on a driveway with a socket set!

Whereabouts are you based? And get some pictures up, I want to see this gleaming red machine :)

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
joeytalent

Postby rustyarchs » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:35 am

Cheers guys. Well no mot yet due to work commitments which sucks but i have bought another one this time a rough 1.6 with really bad arches but it has a better condition dash boot and rear bumper also has plastic covers on the bonnet behind the headlights im missing and I'm planning on stealing a few bolts of it that mine seems to have lost over the years lol.

Joey i'm from blackburn west lothian and i wish it was gleaming red but at least its not pinkish anymore lol i have a pic on my phone but far to much hasstle uploading it but i will eventually
rustyarchs

Postby 71NotOut » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:50 am

rustyarchs wrote:Cheers guys. Well no mot yet due to work commitments which sucks but i have bought another one this time a rough 1.6 with really bad arches but it has a better condition dash boot and rear bumper also has plastic covers on the bonnet behind the headlights im missing and I'm planning on stealing a few bolts of it that mine seems to have lost over the years lol.

Joey i'm from blackburn west lothian and i wish it was gleaming red but at least its not pinkish anymore lol i have a pic on my phone but far to much hasstle uploading it but i will eventually

Ha ha i've managed to source those trims for mine, but struggling to get the screws/clips to actually fit them!

Going to try Sports Car Breakers this afternoon.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:58 pm

There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby rustyarchs » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:51 pm

well finally got him (fred btw) in for an MOT today and...... failure :(

rear parking brake and on sky high emissions

hoping new plugs, leads and a general service sorts this but if yous guys have any mx5 tips please feel free to unload on me as i've a feeling fred's gonna need them

rustyarchs

Postby joeytalent » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:23 am

The parking brake can be a fiddly bastard. I'd check the pads and discs firsts, and you're going to need to adjust the handbrake. I believe the technique is:

1. Slack off the adjuster in the car fully, with the rear jacked up and on stands (and chocks at the front!).
2. Behind each rear caliper is a 10mm(?) bolt. It's really short, you want to remove that, watching for the copper washer, and then you need an allen key to get inside to the adjuster.
3. Tighten the adjusters on both sides as much as possible, then back them off a quarter of a turn.
4. Adjust the handbrake inside the car so you need about 5 clicks to get maximum lock.

It can take a few attempts to get right, but its definitely doable on a drive with a jack and a few tools.

joeytalent

Postby joeytalent » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:30 am

As for the emissions, I'd do sparks, leads and give it a good thrashing. Also worth checking the state of the catalytic converter and the O2 sensor. A new air filter and cleaning out all the air intake pipework and throttle body might make a bit of a difference as well, but I'm guessing your plugs are just gonna be old and dirty!

joeytalent

Postby gm » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:36 am

Good advice, last year my mechanic took my mx for an "Italian Service" before it went in for the test, it still struggled to pass emmisions due to a fairly hefty crack in the manifold but getting everything nice and hot certainly helped (and he did admit that 'theyre alright, them little mazdas' )
gm

Postby drumtochty » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:26 am

The cover bolt on the caliper is 14mm AF and is beside another 14mm bolt in the area of the caliper.

Im guessing the emissions is more than plugs but that is a good start.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:00 am

Please confirm this is a Eunos and not a UK supplied MX5 different emission standars.

Please also repost a full view of the emissions sheet.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby joeytalent » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:23 pm

drumtochty wrote:Please confirm this is a Eunos and not a UK supplied MX5 different emission standars.

Please also repost a full view of the emissions sheet.

It's R reg, so after the '95 cut off for higher emissions.
drumtochty wrote:The cover bolt on the caliper is 14mm AF and is beside another 14mm bolt in the area of the caliper.

Im guessing the emissions is more than plugs but that is a good start.

Knew I couldn't get everything right. It's the bolt adjacent to the 14mm that holds on the handbrake cable bracket that you want.
joeytalent

Postby rustyarchs » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks for the advice guys I used it to get my brakes done!

Lil update,

Plugs,leads,air filter all now changed. Maf been off cleaned and put back on checked it on an ammeter and its resistance is within spec as is the coils but not to say they couldn't fail when actually being used I spose! Removed the pcv and it seems free enough also gave it a quick check through the intake hoses but couldn't find any leaks

Still misfiring :-(

ACH well I might be ready for a club run next summer lol
rustyarchs

Postby joeytalent » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:03 am

Ah man, frustrating stuff! Well you've checked the air and spark, so that just leaves the fuel. Might be worth checking the injectors, and fitting new seals and possibly the fuel filter.

joeytalent

Return to New Users