Where to source a bolt?

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Where to source a bolt?

Postby moontune » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking for replacement bolts for the seal plate which sits behind the cam sprockets on a mk1

I managed to snap the head off one through overtightening (it didn't take much).

I've tried the usual places, such as autolink and mx5parts, but can't seem to find them. Unless they are used elsewhere in the car and on the sites under a different name.

They are M6 flange bolts (10mm socket) and 16mm long, but the last 5mm has no thread (runout?).

Any help as to where I can get these would be greatly appreciated. I've spent a while googling and visiting B&Q, but to no avail.

Thanks,

Ed
moontune
OC Member
Ed Duddy
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Where to source a bolt?

Postby gm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:26 pm

what area are you in ? I know of a couple of mk1s in breakers yards around the edinburgh area - could be an option ?
gm

Postby moontune » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:31 pm

gm wrote:what area are you in ? I know of a couple of mk1s in breakers yards around the edinburgh area - could be an option ?

Thanks gm, I'm in Glasgow. I would prefer to get new ones if possible, but might have to go to the breakers
moontune
OC Member
Ed Duddy
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:47 pm

gm wrote:what area are you in ? I know of a couple of mk1s in breakers yards around the edinburgh area - could be an option ?

Oh, excuse the off-topic post, but could you give me the details of these cars mate as I need various wee bits of trim for my Eunos and i'm having difficulty tracking them down!

Sorry OP.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 pm

when I was there last week

sports car breakers, newbridge had a couple of mk1s, a mk2 and a mk2.5

upullit, inverkeithing had a mk1 for parts and a complete but damaged mk1 for sale

what sort of things are you looking for ? I've got all sorts of bits and pieces in the shed (but no cam bolts, sorry moontune)
gm

Postby moontune » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:19 pm

71NotOut wrote:

Oh, excuse the off-topic post, but could you give me the details of these cars mate as I need various wee bits of trim for my Eunos and i'm having difficulty tracking them down!

Sorry OP.

No worries, tempted to go to the breakers to buy lots of bits I don't need myself. Somebody must have these bolts though. I can't be the only elephant that's snapped them.
moontune
OC Member
Ed Duddy
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby 71NotOut » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:26 am

gm wrote:what sort of things are you looking for ? I've got all sorts of bits and pieces in the shed (but no cam bolts, sorry moontune)

Mostly fasteners or small trim. I've sourced the plastic trim that fastens to the underside of the bonnet and sits around the rear of the lights when the bonnet is closed but I need the screw/fasteners for it - think they could be the same fasteners as wheel arch liner screws on a mk2.5.

I also need the wee bits of plastic that clip to the slam panel and hide the area in front of the popup lights when they are up.

I also have a slam panel cover but it's a bit bent so if I see a better one I'll take it

Also looking for a cheap cubby to go in my tombstone, below the radio.

Might pick up some front/rear reflectors to try shaving them (smoothing the raised lettering off & polishing them) if it works I may do my rear lights.

I picked up a decent bootboot carpet & battery cover with poppers still intact last week so chuffed with that.

Cheers. OP if I'm heading out, if you stick a photo of what you need on here and I can check for you? Will probably be this weekend.

Also looking for good condition rear mudflaps in black.
Previously in a 2003 Montana, now in a 1991 V-Special...
71NotOut
OC Member
Steven Hedley
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gm » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:33 am

moontune wrote:

Thanks gm, I'm in Glasgow. I would prefer to get new ones if possible, but might have to go to the breakers

I suppose you could always ask a mazda dealer to order them in for you - might take a while and likely to be the most expensive option but as a last resort ? (I once spent most of an afternoon trying to track down replacement droplink bolts, finally admitted defeat and paid something daft like £4.50 for a nut and bolt from mazda !)

Or give AK Automotive a call, they build mx5 race car engines so may be able to help ?
gm

Postby drumtochty » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:15 pm

getbay but dp not buy the stainless A2 ones.

Buy carbob=n steel not expensive

Not at home but pm your address and I will probably have them at home.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby moontune » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks guys,

Eddie I'll PM you my address when I get home. The bolts have about 5mm without thread. I couldn't see them on the bay. I can upload a pic if it will help.

Thanks again,

Ed
moontune
OC Member
Ed Duddy
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:37 pm

If you want exactly as you describe go to the Mazda agent.

If you will accept like everyone does a fully threaded item buy off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-M8-M10-Zin ... 566a720260

Do not buy stainless steel they are not specified for car use.

These are great quality and I have a stock of these.

Get a few different lengths they will come in handy
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby moontune » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:49 pm

drumtochty wrote:If you want exactly as you describe go to the Mazda agent.

If you will accept like everyone does a fully threaded item buy off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-M8-M10-Zin ... 566a720260

Do not buy stainless steel they are not specified for car use.

These are great quality and I have a stock of these.

Get a few different lengths they will come in handy

Superb, thanks Eddie. I wasn't sure if the fully threaded would go all the way in. Turns out they do. Cheers!
moontune
OC Member
Ed Duddy
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical