New Mk1 From Aberdeen

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New Mk1 From Aberdeen

Postby goordy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi All,

I recently bought a 1.8 1998 Mk1 with 52K miles with the plan to turn it into a track car. About a month on and I have replaced a binding front caliper, fitted coilys in place of a broken spring and a Roll bar so pretty much ready to start some track days at Knockhill. I would be interested in any views on trackdays with an open diff but will look around the forum as its probably already been covered. I was spectating at Doune hillclimb yesterday and was impressed by the number of MX5's in attendance (is there a reason the vast majority were rocking hardtops?). So once used to the car im thinking hillclimbs/Sprints may be fun. Anyway here is afew pics from Sat when I got the coilovers and rollover bar fitted (still need to set up the ride height). Hopefully see some of you guys around at knocky or sprints.

Cheers,
Gordon
goordy

Re: New Mk1 From Aberdeen

Postby gm » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:44 pm

It might be a bit short notice but I'm heading to knockhill tomorrow evening for a track night, their website shows 'limited places available, call to book' so you might get a spot. There's usually a few mx5s, I'll be there in my mk1, booting it through the twisty section then moving out of the way on the straights as pretty much everything powers past :) there'll be folk there with cars worth 10, even 20 times what mine is but I doubt they will be having any more fun !

Your 1.8 mk1 looks like a good base for a track focused car, it will have the extra bracing the early 1.6s didn't get, bigger brakes and no aircon to weigh it down. the open diff will be ok, a Torsen if you can find one will bolt straight on and does make a difference but for now, I'd get the ride height sorted, take it for a good alignment and book some track time - see what the car is capable of and where to allocate your budget accordingly.
gm

Postby drumtochty » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Did you completly replace the brake fluid on the whole car or did you only bleed the wheel where the caliper was changed.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby goordy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:20 pm

thanks gm, hopefully it should be good fun. I have done some track days previously in my old cars a 200sx and clio cup. I won't be able to make tomorrow as is a bit tight and i havea horrible squeaking from a coilover to diagnose but hoping for the track Scotland one next week if it's not sold out.

drumtochty, I have only managed to bleed the one corner so far with 4.1 racing fluid. having trouble with seized nipples... I have some plus gas on the way which I'm hoping might let me get them off so I can replace them at least.
goordy

Postby crayons » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:57 pm

I'll be heading down for my first race in the Scottish mx5 championship on Sunday May 3rd. Pretty basic set up gaz coilovers and yellow stuff brake pads + required safety equipment at the moment. Will do a bit of engine work through the season. Should be good through the corners but will need to watch my mirrors on the straights.
First MX5
1991-1.6L Scottish MX5 Cup Car
Aberdeen
crayons

Return to New Users