Clacks Newbie

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Clacks Newbie

Postby yettsoman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:29 am

Hello MX-5 Scotland

Introducing myself I'm yettsoman and I live in Clackmannanshire. Please forgive any "newbie" forum errors as it's a while since I've used computer forums.

I'm an ex-owner of a 91 Eunos Roadster. Looking seriously for a decent Mk2.5 so I can properly join the fold soon! I plan to use the car as my everyday driver. If anyone thinks they've something that might be of interest I'd be very happy to hear from you. Anything considered miles-wise, from pampered low-milers to well maintained high-milers, but I'd like to get as rust-free a car as possible (like everyone). I'd also prefer a car with a hardtop.

Cheers
Graham

Edit - Eunos was prefix K reg 92 not 91. Getting mixed up with a "old" K reg suffix which was 71. It's my age....
Last edited by yettsoman on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 Eunos Roadster 1.6 SOLD
yettsoman

Re: Clacks Newbie

Postby IanH » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:16 am

Hello and welcome, good luck with the search.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby DrewN » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your car search. If you are lucky and find a good car, come along to a central event and meet fellow enthusiasts and show it off.
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Area Co-ordinator
3.75 Sport Graphite Coupe
DrewN
OC Member
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Coordinator

Postby yettsoman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Thank you chaps - hope to see you soon with my new wheels

G
yettsoman

Postby AlastairH » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:58 am

Hey yettsoman, just read your post re looking for a good 2.5.
Just make sure your check the front chassis rails no matter how good the rest of the car looks.
Just fixed mine over the winter but it was quite a shock to find them in such a state......will cost £300-1000 to get put right depending on what you can do yourself so rules out most examples that might be offered.
Al
AlastairH

Postby liathach » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:20 am

Might be better to try and stretch to a Mk3 as they seem much less prone to rust. Mk2.5s seem to be an absolute nightmare - beware!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby yettsoman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks AlastairH and liatach

I appreciate your comments, and welcome your opinions. Rest assured though, I looked at loads of rusty cars when I was a kid in the 70s! My first car was a 67 Austin 1100 - perhaps the undisputed king of rusty motors! Unfortunately, almost 50 years later some cars still rust alarmingly, and the Mk2.5 MX-5 appears to be one of the worst offenders.

I'm well aware of the corrosion problems with Mk2/2.5 models. I've already looked at three Mk2.5s , two were complete shockers AND expensive. I spent all of two minutes looking a 54 car before I said goodbye. It was advertised as "immaculate", good pictures, low miles,history, new MOT etc etc - in reality it was awful. The "best" car was at least cheap, though I didn't even get round to looking about the rails area as the sills/rear arches etc were so questionable.

I'm not in any rush and sad though it may seem to some, my favourite model is the Mk2.5. I've done the Mk1 already, and I don't really fancy a Mk3. I'm hoping I WILL find a decent Mk2.5 sometime, somewhere soon and at a decent price, that I can own for more than the 5 minutes it takes to dissolve. I've a couple of promising leads, though I've still to see one car and the other the owner doesn't want to sell right now! There are THOUSANDS of these cars on the roads - they can't all be rusty death-traps - or can they?

Will update from time to time as the search continues.....

Cheers
G
yettsoman

Postby drumtochty » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:26 am

I have had say 10 MK2 and Mk2.5 cars on my two post lift.

I have had one Mk2.5 with good front chassis rails.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby yettsoman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:14 pm

Do you know if the good one is for sale? .... ; )
yettsoman

Postby yettsoman » Sat May 02, 2015 5:48 pm

I think I've found a a car now. Details to follow once all is confirmed.

Thanks to all who responded.

G
yettsoman

Return to New Users