Chassis Rail replacement

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Chassis Rail replacement

Postby TMB26 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi

I have been looking closely at my 2002 Mazda MX5 Mk 2.5 and think to ensure a pass at the next MOT I should really get the front chassis rails repaired, which I believe to be a problem with this car.

My wee car is SV52 RZY a 1.8 variant, which I have become quite attached to and love driving her.

I see a company advertising on this forum sells the replacement parts, my question for the forum is this - is there anyone/garage etc that will undertake this work for me that the members can recommend?

Thanking you in anticipation

Tony
TMB26

Re: Chassis Rail replacement

Postby mgrays » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Give us a clue about where the magical cost free garage should be located in Scotland? .. or fill out your details. :wink:

I say magical because it is likely to cost more than you consider the car to be worth.. :(
mgrays

Postby OldSpice » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 pm

From someone who spent nearly 2.7k on doing his chassis & wings, I would say get the engine tray dropped out on a ramp and have the rails thoroughly tested...with a BFH & a screwdriver.
It may not be anywhere near as bad as you fear, or they could be terminal, or somewhere in between (and economically repairable) but you won't know how long your piece of string is until they get a good solid ( must be brutal) poking and hammering.
Don't despair...yet.
Whereabouts roughly do you live?
If you are in the Central Belt I could come along with my "BFH."
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby IanH » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 pm

There are people who classify this as a 'cosmetic' issue and say it's easy to fix, if you're prepared to travel to the Midlands of Englandshire you can probably find someone there to fit them for you.

There are others who think cosmetic is perhaps not the word, there are however varying degrees of how far these have gone, I hope yours isn't too rotten.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby OldSpice » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:42 pm

:wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:43 pm

One of Wayne's mates on Mender's, a guy who has done these, quoted £150 a side plus vat plus the panel cost so around £225 a side.

MX5Restorers quote £250 a side with VAT all in.

So that is a good benchmark.

Once the issue was discussed on Menders, there was agreement that a number of the members there had the repairs done.

Any bodyshop will be able to do them but they have to be covered in underseal inside and out after the repair is done.

I as well as Oldspice have inspected a good few cars and the last car a 2004 that I looked at, only needs the bottom sections replaced as both the verticle sections are in good condition.

For the avoidance of any doubt and I have informed those who think otherwise that I and I assume and Oldspice will advise people on the problem in a constructive manner but will not allow members to go and buy a car of that age if asked without pointing out the areas to check.

Sills, rear arches, chassis rails, boot lids and on older cars front wings.

That's the cost of running a 10 to 20 year old car.

My 2006 Impreza has a lot of rust round both it's back door openings and that is 9 years old!

There are those on another place that consider that Mum is the wordabout these cars unless they advise the person about rust.

It may well be that our write access to that place is removed if getting the MK4 to the Spring rally is of upmost importance, but I think not.

Again if the original poster advises his location maybe a club member can assist to inspect the car.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BoabG » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Have to get up to yours with my mig and get that wee job done for you soon Eddie :wink:
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 pm

BoabG wrote:Have to get up to yours with my mig and get that wee job done for you soon Eddie :wink:

will contact you soon.
Last edited by drumtochty on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby BoabG » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:59 pm

Sounds good 8) :D
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Bob t builder » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 am

I had the sills and arches on my anniversary edition at Ayrshire Roadster Centre, and the cost was very fair.
Alan is an mx 5 enthusiast and I am sure he would have a look and tell you the true state of your chassis, as I believe he used to be an mot tester.
You can contact him on 07955050848 or roadstercentre@mail.com.
Bob t builder

Postby flood » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:36 am

Do you know if they are still open?

I had a look and their website is not working. Im in Kilmarnock and looking to get my s-limited sorted
1993 S-Limited Eunos Roadster.
flood
OC Member

Postby liathach » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Whatever happened to the OP, TMB26?
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby drumtochty » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Just a one post wonder or he got rid of hs MX5.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby flood » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Sorry I was not very clear..

I meant is the ayrshire roadster person still on the go?

I sent an email but have no reply though it is the long weekend i know
1993 S-Limited Eunos Roadster.
flood
OC Member

Return to Technical