New Member from Dunfermline

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

New Member from Dunfermline

Postby regan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi All,

My Names Jason or Regan or whatever my mates decide is suitable at the time....

I have recently bought for the princely sum of £500 a 1.6 NB on an S plate. The reason for purchase is to drive the wee fella to Rome in an event called Rust to Rome which kicks off end of June... Charity run which our team are raising money for help for heroes...

Anyway NOT here for money, but I AM here for advices and pointers :-)

1. I need a new roof !!!!
Looking to get a replacement softtop, with or without frame, but ideally without the holes / splits that the current one has. Also it would awesome if there is someone who is forum trusted to fit it.

2. Thinking I should try and get a parts fische if one exists... not found one yet...

3. The beasty or MaX as the better half has christened came with a tidy little boot rack and im looking for any suggestions on luggage which is weather resistant as we will be crossing either the Pyrenees or Alps depending on route, so weather is going to be all sun and blue skies lol

4. Would love to hear from anyone who might have done a long tour in an older car around sensible spares to take or issues that are more likely than not to arise.

WOW, longer first intro post than I thought but hey i was on a roll.
Im hoping that MaX is going to be a reliable fella and will see me through a few nice summers :-)

Regan out.
regan

Re: New Member from Dunfermline

Postby BoabG » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Hello and welcome, we had a Scooby in at my work the other year that was covered in fur and driven abroad to raise money for charity. They left it in the last country for any one to take. Good luck.
2004- MX5 Euphonic in Titanium.
BoabG
OC Member
Bob Gray
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby regan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:45 pm

BoabG wrote:Hello and welcome, we had a Scooby in at my work the other year that was covered in fur and driven abroad to raise money for charity. They left it in the last country for any one to take. Good luck.

Thanks Bob :-)
regan

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Regan.

There is no parts fische but you should get a parts pdf off the internet with the various diagrams and part numbers.

I cannot remeber where I have seen one but google is your friend.

Can't help with a hood.

The following secondhand bits would be handy after they were tested as working.
Cam sensor.
Coil Pack
Igniter
Working plug leads
Alternator and power steering belt.

Prior to going a full service and new cambelt and water pump.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DrewN » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Jason,
Welcome to the forum - hopefully you will get some useful replies - I suggest you take plenty of sun cream and a waterproof if you don't get a new roof!!!
Good luck on your run.
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Area Co-ordinator
3.75 Sport Graphite Coupe
DrewN
OC Member
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Coordinator

Postby regan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:12 pm

drumtochty wrote:Welcome to the forum Regan.

There is no parts fische but you should get a parts pdf off the internet with the various diagrams and part numbers.

I cannot remeber where I have seen one but google is your friend.

Can't help with a hood.

The following secondhand bits would be handy after they were tested as working.
Cam sensor.
Coil Pack
Igniter
Working plug leads
Alternator and power steering belt.

Prior to going a full service and new cambelt and water pump.

Thanks a lot, this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. already got a workshop manual ordered, im not the greatest with a set of tools but there will be a few guys that are going who are so fingers crossed.
regan

Postby regan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:12 pm

DrewN wrote:Jason,
Welcome to the forum - hopefully you will get some useful replies - I suggest you take plenty of sun cream and a waterproof if you don't get a new roof!!!
Good luck on your run.

Thanks for the welcome... yeah got the sunscreen on the list already ;-)
regan

Postby OldSpice » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Regan,
Delighted to see an old Mk1 doing an H4H gig.
A Mk1 is perfectly capable of taking it's passengers long hauls in comfort. No worries. Many folk "Do France" regularily in Mk1s...and any other "Young Pretenders" :wink:
Mine did..and will be again soon.

This old feller did 2000 hard miles in 6 days, and needed a light bulb.
Reason? Basic prepping.

In short I replaced..over about 6 months prior:

Cambelt & water pump ( don't bother doing one without the other)
Radiator..it was going leaky anyway.
Leads, plugs, ( NGK Long Reach) K&N filter pad.
Oil, coolant, thermostats, belts
Top & bottom hoses..and the pesky heater hoses that go into the bulkhead.
Brake pads, and replaced the discs..cheaper than you might think.
Bled brakes, check hoses.
Changed out trans oil, and diff.
Cleaned all earth wires, and checked out the loom contacts throughout.
New wiper blades, bought a full bulb kit.
Fuel filter

What is most likely to stop you on an older Mk1 doing a long hard haul?

Cooling.
Coilpacks /CAS
Duff leads/plugs
Fuelling blockages
M.A.F. ( if you have one...)
Oil leaks
Old belts

It's all about how much you want to spend against how much risk you want to take.
I don't take risks!

Good luck!

Just noticed Eddie's post..sorry for double up on some things.
I'm just 20 mins from you so if you want me to glace over the car I'd be quite happy.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby gm » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:14 pm

I recommend doing the absolute bare minimum preparation to enhance the sense of adventure ! What could be more satisfying than mending a broken car with string and gaffer tape by the side of the road in the back end of no-where ? Think of the bragging rights down the pub when you get back (albeit a few weeks later than everyone else)

As said by more sensible folk above, give it a good service and take basic tools and spares. If you end up stuck, there are owners clubs across Europe who may have someone local who can help - there is a great post on mx5nutz from a chap whose mk1 died on him in France, he had to fly back to the UK for work or something but a local French enthusiast rescued and fixed his car for him while he was away :)

Are you planning to bring the car home again ? That will dictate how much you are prepared to spend on your roof etc. Take a drive down to upullit in inverkeithing and see if they have any breakers in - a roof on frame should set you back around £60-£80 should take around an hour to remove, the same to refit. if you want a new roof, try moss-europe.co.uk who have some of the cheapest options available, DIY fitting is straightforward but I wouldn't want to do it at this time of year without a garage / workshop .

Good luck

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=150108&hl=france
gm

Postby regan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Hello Again everyone...

Apologies its been a while since my last post. I first of all want to thank everyone for their advice so far on what I should or shouldn't do in preparation for my trip to Rome :-)

Secondly and most importantly I want to spread the word about how absolutely awesome Steve Bloxham is from GoodWood Sports cars.
http://www.goodwoodsportscars.co.uk/

Now I was beginning to fret that I was going to have a bigger expense that budget would allow for to replace the roof on the Mazda, bearing in mind we have a £500 budget to buy and prep the car for http://www.rust2rome.com however I was pointed towards Steve as a great source of advice and information, got talking and what a stirling gent. You want to know what Steve did for us.... He donated a used leak free roof which he had at his unit and donated his time to fit it for free as his contribution to our charity run....

After speaking with him several times over before, during and on collection again it was obvious there was no one better to replace a roof on a Mazda... when he phoned me to say he knew it was the original roof and he could tell by the size and shape of the rivets used I knew he was obsessed about MX5's

So guys and gals alike, if you ever need a roof fitted or are looking for a replacement MX-5 you simply must speak to or just go straight to Steve. We cant thank him enough.

And if anyone happens to be interested in taking a look at the before and afters and general progress pics as we get ready for Rome then drop on over to Facebook and look for "Rust 2 Rome - The Dirty Martinis"

Sure I will be back with more questions soon

Cheers
Jason....

P.s im EXTREMELY lazy so you will likely see this same post on "other" MX-5 forums :-)
regan

Return to New Users